1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Grande Punto Emotion Pk :- Has 15" OEM alloys ,so your choice should be perfect :)
  2. parry1410

parry1410

Pune
    Hi, I need to change the tyres on my Linea and currently have the Goodyear GT3's. Checked with a tyre shop in my area and they GT3 and Bridgestone RE88's. Dealer quoted 5K for GT3 and %.4K for RE88's. Not keen on going with GT3's. Has anyone had any experiences with RE88's? Are they good? Any help would appreciated.
  3. Do you mean Bridgestone Potenza RE.

Potenza tyres are just too good, i had used them on my previous car very comfortable and not even a single puncture on my use of 12000kms.

4k is a good price if its a Radial

it sells close to 6k in blore
  4. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    I have used RE series eons ago when Bridgestone used to import this pattern from Japan. In case these RE88s are indeed "Made in Japan" go ahead with your eyes closed, if not then there are a lot of other better options. A friend does have the Premium Cab tire from Bridgestone on one of his rides and is all praises for the product. Now this guy is an out-n-out auto geek and I respect his words, so maybe that is another product that you can look at . Then there is the Ecopia again from BS, this is in direct competition to the Energy series from Michelin. You could also look at the Yokohama A drives or the C drives. Besides the above there is the current X series from Michelin i.e. XM2+ which is supposed to have sorted out all of the issues related to Michelins as in soft tire walls etc.

Why are you embarrassed? You have a vehicle that has the plushest ride at one end of the speed spectrum and the best handling at the other. If anyone should be embarrassed it is the local municipality for not doing their job and the people who are only armchair warriors regarding all things automotive. Anyhow those are fodder for another discussion.

Coming to the tire upgrade why don't you try the 205/55R16 the size that goes in to the TJet. I suggest this for two reasons

1. Since the body shells and other mechanicals are same across various Linea models this will be a correct fit and will not foul up anywhere.

2. The TJet's odo & speedo meters are calibrated per this tire size and with the base parameters available it is quite possible that the A.S.C. could recalibrate your vehicle's odo & speedo w.r.t. to this tire size to show the correct readings. That's the advantage of digital versus analog.

Meanwhile un till you have a permanent solution try taking the vehicle over the humps at a slight diagonal rather than straight up and down and at crawling speed. Complete your braking as you approach the hump so that the front end has sprung back when you actually go over the hump. As your front bumper goes over turn the steering left or right depending on the situation and let the front tires go over one after the other. The time lag will only be a second or less but that is enough and of course your will be dead slow. Continue, so that the rear wheels too go over the hump at a slight diagonal and not at exactly the same instant. This should tackle most of the humps except for maybe the really huge ones.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. addy

addy Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi

Is it okay to use performance tyres on the stock steel rims? I have a Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion which has steel rims and Good Year GT3s as the stock setup. The car has currently run 45k and will probably do 2-3000 more before I have to change the tyres. I was planning to change the steel rims to alloys, but have deferred the decision for some time due to some reason.

My plan was to retain the stock size but upgrade the wheels to alloys and replace the GY tyres with Bridgestone Potenza G3 tyres. Now, getting alloys will be delayed, but I cannot delay the replacement of the tyres as they are wearing out fast. My doubt here is, the Potenza G3 is supposed to be a performance tyre and if I go ahead and install these tyres on the stock steel rims, will there be any difference? Will it affect performance or will it not fit properly and any other issue? The reason I'm asking is that since I may switch the steel rims for alloys in the near future, I want to use the same tyres on that as well.

Also, I see Bridgestone MY01 series also has similar tread as the Potenza G3. Has anyone used the same here? Which of the 2 would be better? Please do suggest alternatives from other brands within the same price range.

Thanks
  6. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Replacing tyres tommarow -

Tyre Quote as Follows for 185/70 R14

Yokohama A drive - 4200 Rs
    Appollo Accelere - 3900 Rs
    Hankook - 3700 Rs

Which one is better ... Please suggest ..i am in confusion.
    Are A Drives are good at Wet and Dry Grip?
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The more the COST the more reliable out of the above options
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I asked dealer about same .. how come the Cost of Hankook is such low? he was saying that hankook wants to penetrate into market so as the pricing..and also with 5 year Warranty etc etc..
    He is saying that Hankook is better than Yoko A drives...
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    All of them are good tyres. Considering your location and the amount of wet driving you might do, the first two are better choices than the Hankooks. When it comes to dry grip and road noise, all of them are the same. As far as tyre life is concerned, Apollos would outlast the other two.

Rajan
  10. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Rajan.
    I have a reason for it.. today i encountered emergency braking situation in wet condition and obviously the Tyres had skid .. at the end i managed to save life of pedestrian.
    First time i regretted for not buying Emotion *ABS :) .
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.