1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Somewhere on this thread earlier, I have posted my opinion on Michelin XM1+. I ran those tires for about 45000 kms -10,000 kms on highways and rest in City of Potholes a.k.a Mumbai. Let me reiterate my findings:

I had to drive through pure gravel (yes, not even roads!) for over 500 kms AT A STRETCH and basically a lot of rural (if there is a category below SH, think of that!) roads. This was on a road trip of 3000 kms over 10 days covering interiors of MH and KA. Result - just 1 puncture. All along that road, I saw many cars stranded due to *multiple* punctures. The roadside tire-wallah was amazed how I came out with just one!

My experience with Bridgestone and Goodyear are nothing to write home about. I had the tubed version of GY on my Getz and tubeless of BS on NHC. Both suffered so many punctures in their respective 30-40k kms of running that I stopped keeping count.

I can tell you this entire debate of soft sidewalls is just a (negative) marketing gimmick. Like I said earlier, a lot depends on your driving style and how careful are you about the tires. Be it Michelins or Goodyear or Continental. If you ignore regular rotation, balancing, alignment, proper air pressure and basically want to race over potholes, even MRFs would burst their sidewalls. And it won't take bad roads to do that. I can confidently tell you it can happen in city as well - easily.

At the end of the day, all tires are made of rubber right? You abuse and it shall reciprocate!

As another member said, if you are looking to move up the quality ladder (in terms of silent tires, good grip, *no effect* on steering as you wish etc.) and willing to pay a price, Michelins and Yoko are your choices.
    2 people like this.
  2. Yoko ES100(S drives) are also in consideration, i will try to see them today.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

This tyre dealer who told me about the sidewalls of Michelin PLC is my friend of 15 yrs. He is a prime seller of Michelin and he has always told me that Michelins are the tyres to drive and none comes close. He knows my track record. If sales was his only aim, he neednt have told me this info on the sidewalls. His opinion is surely an average of the sales he does and the complaints he gets from his customers.
    The problems an user faces can be brought about by many variables most importantly the area and terrain where the car is driven mostly.

@teky, My A drives are 18K km old and doing fine. My experience with A drives are like this. Till now I have bought 6 nos of A drives and am curently using the 4 nos. Two suffered damage. The first one had a sidewall crack and Yoko guy gave me a new one at a 50% discount. The second tyre was pierced by a thin aluminium tube and had be replaced with new one at own cost.
    To wear out the A drives I dont intend even to rotate the tyres.

User experiences shared in a forum are very useful and anybody can use any info to either buy a tyre or to stay away from it. Every user experiences are borne out of variables that can be unique or common. None is looking for a sidewall strength of a truck :)..... i know it is only an expression:) Havent we bought Fiats which many stay away from ?

2 people like this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Finally, my Linea got a new set of GT3 costing Rs 17,600 for 4 inclusive of free fitment/wheel balancing/wheel alignment plus a complimentary traveller's bag from Tyre Zone, Manimarja, Chandigarh. The details are here.
    3 people like this.
  5. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Ravi sir: Try and go easy on the brand new tyres. They will take some time to come up to peak performance (at least 500-600 kms). And best of luck for your trip! May the force be with you!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Sad to hear that A-Drives aren't performing as they are intended to, Like you said it depends on the terrain we drive and some luck. I've had total of about 10 punctures in my GT3 where as others claim none. So I would recommend you to get the GT3's once your A-Drives whereof as they can take more abuse than premium tires.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Thanks a lot, nkapoor777. Tomorrow, my Linea will take us to Shimla, which involves ghat section, necessitating sedative driving.:)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Its a nice road till Shimla!My Linea had perfomed exceptionally there this May.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Folks,

I just inquired about PLC and S-Drives prices
    Madu's 5700/- 4600/-
    ShivShakti Tires 5550/- 4650/-

I also checked a car fitted with PLC,sidewalls are not too soft,S-Drives were little harder with rim/alloy protectors.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Good information on tires.
    HowStuffWorks "12 Tire Buying Tips"
  10. Some teaser pictures.
    IMG_20120926_164333[1].jpg IMG_20120926_164408[1].jpg IMG_20120926_165758[1].jpg IMG_20120926_164352[1].jpg
    4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.