1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Remember that Michelin Primary LC is soft rubber compared to the Bridgestone Potenza G3. Soft compound wears out faster but gives you better grip and handling.

But for your kind of driving and lot of highway runs : you need a tyre with a strong sidewall and Potenza G3 will serve you well in that regard.
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Yup Bridgestone has harder rubber...

After the run in period of the bridgestone, (5,000 kms) you will notice the slight reduction in grip. noticed it on my turbo. Very spirited driving on my turbo. and lots of expressway run in the 2.5 yrs. almost 2 every month. that frequent... 120+ regular!

I had them on my turbo, and after 5-7,000 kms the tyres braking efficiency reduced by 10% and under-steer increased equally!!
    But since you have ABS, the braking efficiency wont be noticed. And from your driving i'd say by 10,000 kms you will notice the slight reduction in handling..

The wet traction was good on my turbo with bridgestone.
    i am still to explore my punto.. not comfortable with pushing her... so cant compare yet (consider the wider profile also)

in the end, the bridgestone will last longer with some noise!! than the LC. But cost of less grip.. which will be noticed on the highway.
  3. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Sandeep as i understand . You have pressed 5.5J steel rims with stock tyres ?

If your not apprehensive , with +1 upsize ....against those H325 alloys i would advise
    the tyres need to be well thought of ...I seems you are traveling alot and on that basis you
    need a rugged profile tyre.

IMO , 195 /60 R15 with Michelin Primacy LC is expensive deal which is a fact will not last.
    In lieu to that YOk's are better !!! Much better than Bridgestone which will last as well with
    road noise as you churn them.

If u have to pick YOk's go with C drive , A drive with prolong rolling resistance
    will again cause Road noise but more of these 2 are VFM compared to MICHELIN's & co ...

Cheers
    TND
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3

A small input from my side:

All car speedos/odos are calibrated with a certain wheel radius - normally measured with the tyre fully inflated and no load. If one sees the wheel variations on the GP this point will come out. 165/80 R14s, 175/70 R14s, and 195/60 R15s have practically the same wheel radius. This is probably the wheel radius for which the GP is calibrated.

Other combinations like 205/60 R15 will result in a change in the wheel radius (in this case an increase by about 6 mm). As I understand, this variation will cause errors in the speedo/odo readings. I am not sure whether it will have any other adverse effects.

It would therefore be prudent for potential 'upsizers' to go into this aspect before making changes to the company recommended sizes.

Johnny
  5. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Replacement of stock tyres (goodyear GT3) for Linea

hahah.. dats the prices offered for old tyres.. i was offered 1000 bucks for my old ones when it was drive for 10k kms...
  6. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

Andy , whats happening on this thread ?
    Have you thought of tyre change ?

lemme me know...

TND
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

Sandeep, why you shifted to steel rim? Any issue with 14" alloys?

Anybody has any experience/knowledge of BF Goodrich g-Force sport tyre??
  8. Re: Replacement of stock TYRES for the PUNTO

I had this as an option for my car , the dealer was a Michelin dealer as Goodrich is
    a performance tyre (sister concern Michelin Tyres)
    I had done some research on this over various forums and results was perdy much an avg
    performer nothing too great , in terms of handling and traction on wet& dry surfaces
    the tread pattern was neither sporty as compared to CPC2 or A drives

The tyre was priced almost 500 bucks cheaper to Michelin Primacy LC and
    it was almost 1050 bucks expensive than A drives 2 months back.
    Also the tyre profile was out of standard size on a 5.5 J Stock Rim
    (195/60R14) .I backed out of this deal as i was not convinced for the ensuing Monsoon & overall
    life of the tyre i wish to choose.

TND
  9. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

I did think of a tyre change but since i didnt get a gd price for my old ones ive put it on hold...

Waiting for my GT3 to ware out so that i can jump into a diff brand of shoes...
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I think Fiat has removed 175/70 R14 profile tyre, which was coming in Emotion variants.
    [attachment=0:2nlz20ax]punto_tyre.JPG[/attachment:2nlz20ax]

What should be best upgrade for 175 tyre, if I would like to retain the steel rim (5.5J)?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.