1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Following tyres were recommended to me by a tyre dealer.

1. Yoko - V550
    2. CPC2
    3. Bridgestone - RE88

Looking at my present tyres @ 45k, the dealer confirmed that I can delay changing the tyres for atleast another 5k kms :).

Kiran
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Update - I drove around 3000 KM's post the shoe change and I'm cursing myself as to why I didn't change the shoes during the delivery itself. These are tires which Punto & Linea deserve man - The tires saw all conditions super speed highway, touched 165 in NICE Road - zero noise, zero drama unlike the GT3. Took it over some unpaved roads in Kerala, saw some braking in Wet conditions as well and it was satisfying. As I had posted earlier the car is flick-able easily and can sway in and sway out triple digit speeds in confidence. So if you're indeed looking for Comfort, Handling, Steering feedback and have the finances please opt for PLC's. GT3's used to be bumpy above 120-130 and it's all gone for sure now.
    7 people like this.
  3. That is confidence inspiring.how are the side walls? will they survive if I take little precaution?
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    As I said I drove as usual without lot of pre-cautions including some non-existent patches in Kerala and also took the Mysore - Malavalli - Maddur which had some bad stretches as well and didn't have any issues so far. The side walls aren't as soft as C-Drives and not as hard as GT3's.
    2 people like this.
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Good to see another 'real life user feedback' and not Googled feedback cribbing about 'soft sidewall' / grip and noise equal to MRF/Bridgestone and what not!
    1 person likes this.
  6. Teky,

Has it made the steering feel little lighter? Right now my cars steering feels little harder due to GT3.
    How much was cost,can you please share details.

-Sat
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Yes it has become bit lighter but not that much, Initial 50 KM's was even lighter and after putting it up to 32PSI all around it's perfect. That being said It's not as hard as GT3 during the parking speed it's lightened up considerably and weighs up nicely as speeds build up.

The cost was 5850 per tire for four including Fitting, Balancing and Alignment. You've two options to choose from Yoko C-Drives and Michelin PLC's both and you can't go wrong with both the choices. I'll be getting a chance to drive linealover's drive with C-Drives and can give feedback once I've driven it for a while.

dj.nish - Yes, GT3 makes your steering harder than the usual, have compared it with Apollo Accelere's, C-Drives and now PLC.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  8. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Why would you want the steering to feel lighter? That's a wrong metric to look for while evaluating a tire. At best, a good tire would keep the steering feedback as neutral - just like the manufacturer intended it to be.

GT3 making your steering hard? I don't know how that is possible. How do you define hardness of steering? Are you sure your tires are rotated, balanced and aligned well? Checked air pressure?
  9. DJ,I own a Zen 2003 we had 145-80/R12 JK tires and steering is was harder on slower speeds but once I changed the tires to MRF steering is little lighter.
    I having driven Theblack's Punto with Maxis 205 rubber, i can feel it is ever harder than mine. tires can ad to steering feel.
    too add to it a 165 rubber ed Punto Dynamic's steering feels lot more lighter than 195 mm rubber at city speeds.

-Sat
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    A drives would be a better bet due to the cost advantage it has over the XM2. More over, if A drives can deliver 90-95% of the XM2 why not prefer the A drives.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.