1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Abdul, what is the issue with your A-Drive?
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Ravi, the A drive is lacking the bite at high speeds ie < 100. If I do some hard intensive screech braking for two or three times from higher speeds on the highway, the tire comes to life and starts to bite the road but after a while it is back to old. It means the tyre temperature is not enough for the compound to function. I have forgotten how well the Punto used to brake and basically have no braking confidence after this fitment. Well Ravi, how is your experience at high speeds.? Are you having ABS, in which case we cant compare our experiences. A good tire should perform well without any assist from technology. My 2 cents and could be car specific too.

Abdul
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Yes ABS is there in my car and I am driving C Drive from last 17K+ km. C Drive is fantastic tire, just keep sidewall safe, its soft, but this softness you will enjoy driving, smooth.

@royj, go for Michelin then, or may be Apollo Accelere.
  4. I would recommend XM2 for 14" and PLC if you are upgrading to 15". In case if you need to get to Yokohama's then it has to be C Drives. After hearing Abdul's problems, some of my friends too feel the same in their Palio's.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    does that means to drive only on highways ?
    no bad roads or kaccha road ?

does it means as compared to C drive GT3 have nice side walls.
    How to take care of side walls :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

sat,
    may be 2mm....
    if i wait with more running KMS i dont think so i will get nice price for stock tires.... hence want to selll it asap...
    if the dealer quotes 400 rupees or 500 rupeees then i will use it till i dont see any thread on it. :D
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai

GT3 doesn't have nice side walls - It's just stronger than the Yoko. That said when you venture into pot hole filled roads just be a bit careful and you should be good.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks teky for the info... this made me more confuse... :D
    that means soft side wall tires can be driven carelessly on the bad roads ? if so why ravi ji told to take care of side walls.

So, which one is good: hard side wall or soft side wall in terms of comfort,bad road(pot holes) handling and durability....
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  8. Please check this out,there are two tire dealers like Wasva and Madhu in the thread.
    Michelin Primacy LC - Bad experiences - Team-BHP

I did have side wall cut on GT3,which I got repaired successfully.while trying to negotiate other car in small road I had drive a bit on the pavement .
    Suddenly pavement caved in damaging the tire at two places and also the alloy a bit.I have been driving with the same repaired tire for past 7 K kms.
    Person who repaired my tire said he rarely sees a GT3 but more of Michelin and Yoko with such issues.
    -Sat
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    I am a bad example when it comes to caring for tyres and the road conditions here helps to make the matters worse.
    I have been using Bridgstone for more than 1,25,000kms over the past 10 years and have experienced just around 5 or 6 flats altogether.
    I might have chosen Yokos if the C drives were available for my size. Looks like I will end up with Bridgestone or Goodyear.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Why not the XM2? Or the A drive?

I have the A drives on the Palio and XM1 on a wagon R which my grandfather drives daily in his village. Both have been great no worries. So XM2 couldn't really be a worse tyre than XM1, can it be?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.