1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Very happy to read such a post here on our beloved TFI. :up

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Street tires being tested on the track! I wonder what's the wisdom of MRF in doing so. :confused:
  2. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    @Sat-Chit-ananda

If your driving is mostly on state interiors/SH/rural roads, then MRF tires would be your best bet against punctures. There is a huge compromise on grip and noise, but that's also because you are paying half the price vis-a-vis Michelin. According to me, MRF is really the lowest rung in tires.

(Although I must mention here that my Michelin XM1+ suffered 330 km of non-existent road's abuse in Puttur-Mani region of interior KA and emerged successful with just a tiny puncture)

The top end is dominated by Michelin and Continental. If you can source CPC2 (which might be easy for you being located in BLR), do consider. Ofcourse you will be paying top bucks for both these brands.

Middle of the road solution includes Yoko and Bridgestone ER60/Potenza G3. Great tires, good grip, long lasting and will check most of the boxes. However, you cannot call them 'superb' in grip or 'totally silent'.

The link you have posted ain't relevant for India. 90% of those tires aren't officially available here.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Even I had experienced a shift to a different league altogether once I changed shoes on my punto from GT3 to Primacy LC. With engine getting super smooth after miles clocking, I could hear the clattering of MJD to the glory while driving. Such silent are Michelin's.

But..but whether the premium we pay for is justified is where one has to take a call. I think in 195/60 territory, one should go and shod it to punto.
    1 person likes this.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I have been provided the following quotes for 185/70 R14 profile tyres. I need to get a new set by next month.
    My primary criteria is grip both dry and wet. Not really worried about noise. Ride comfort is welcome, but willing to sacrifice that for grip.

Michelin XM2 - 4950
    Goodyear Assurance - 4600
    Goodyear Duraplus - 4500
    Yokohama A Drive - 4200
    Bridgestone:
    Potenza G3 - 4900
    Potenza MY-01 - 4700
    Turanza ER-60 - 4700
    Turanza AR-10 - 4550

Now I am confused. :confused: Experts please suggest.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Royj - I changed my current set of GT3 with Michelin PLC and can say that they are really worth the money. The ride quality has immensely improved, initially I didn't replace one of the tyres due to unavailability and was using GT3 at rear with 30 PSI all around. I was a bit dissappointed with the steering feedback which had reduced a wee bit in lower speeds although it weighed nicely at higher speeds. I changed the remaining tire yesterday and also upped the air pressure to 32 PSI and the steering feedback is back to normal like GT3. Also I believe the flickability has improved with sudden direction changes being absolute delight.

My recommendation would be to stick with Michelin or Yokohama.
  6. Teky i read some where that you were looking for MRF ZLO,when did you change to PLC?
    What made you to change?
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I am a little worried about generalizing on brand name. For example, XM2 and PLC might behave differently and so would Assurance and DuraPlus and GT3 or A Drive, C Drive and S Drive. Else why would there be different models at different price points. For me at R14 size, from Yoko I can get only A Drive and not C or S Drive, and Michelin provides only XM2 and not PLC. So thanks Teky, for your recommendation. I would still like to have comments on specific models.
    1 person likes this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Sat - yup, I was initially however that isn't a proven one. Also read about them being noisy which I don't want. I believe Shams has same PLC if you want to try, I'll tell you you'll love it.

Completely agree royj, but you got to look at the company track record. XM 2 is the successor for XM1 which is proven. Fellow member cvanandh has the in his Palio and swears by them. I've a XM2 as well in GTX and it's a week bit harder than C drives. C drives are really comfy but linealover complains about reduced steering feedback.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. XM2 has very good dry grip as well as wet.for me there is no XM2 in 195/60 R15.
    I am now dependent on reviews by the forum members on PLC,any way i still have another month to decide.
    Probelm I have is "most of reputed brands should do the duty" as told by Gurjinder,but a crazy drive with in me pushes the car to unbelievable speeds at times.
    I recently touched 170 on wet surface with out any loss of grip in GT3,have touched 180 on dry surface.
    Need to know how PLC does the duty in such speeds,but it is easier said than done to get such info.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.