1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

I did the same ..I upgraded to Yokohama 185/70/R14..

I do not see any difference...

If at all it could be 0.5 kmpl...but thats too negligible...

I get 14 to 15 with AC in city and about 20 on highways..
  2. thc45

thc45 Timido

The drop would be bare minimum that you wouldn't even notice it. I am running Bridgestone Turanza ER 60... twice it made huge noise while hard braking otherwise my cornering has improved a lot. And again, steering feels a bit heavier but I like it that way.
  3. Folks,

My Punto Epk's Goodyear GT3 , just has 3.7 mm thread depth left at 38000 kms.

Question is should I wait for thread depth to come down to 1 or 1.5 mm? or can I change it now?

Second question is , what Tyre options do you suggest?
    My requirements are
    1) Tough side walls
    2) At least 40 k Kms life
    3) Prefer little less noise than GT3
    4) No compromise of road grip or FE
    5) No upsize of downsize just want have 195/60/R 15

Please let me know brad and cost of the tyre may be the shop details if you are in bangalore?
    Please post the pictures of the tyre so that this thread can be of some use for people checking out later.
    P.S: Is internet a better place to search for tyre?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Michelin Primacy LC shall provide you better comfort and less noise than GT3. Grip offered by either of them is more or less the same
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

On the Palio, i cheaped out and kept running the tyres until they were almost looking like slicks. Good move? Not. Frequent punctures were irritating and the risk was great. So, better not to go too long on tires. 3.7mm sounds okay-ish.

And, How was YOUR experience with these GT3's ?

We've read that in some cases they were heavily criticized and in some they were appreciated.

If you found them agreeable, just get a new set.

Secondly, i believe the whole "sidewall" debate is pretty much over-exaggerated. Unless you intend to use some high performance track tires on your Punto, the sidewall strength issue should not even be a consideration.

2 people like this.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I also had GoodYear GT3 OEM tyres in my Linea. I was pretty satisfied with it. The grip was very good.

At about 55,000 kms, I changed them to Bridgestone Potenza G III. The grip is again awsome, especially in wet road conditions. The noise level is more or less similar to GT3 but I was never concerned much about noise levels.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Linea T-Jet
    GT3/NCT5 both are awsome tyres , they may be slight noisy , but the strength of rubber is not matched to any its very hard, thats y the sound is also.
    But the advantages ,you get very good grip in wet/dry.Long lasting tyre thread,Good handling.Mainly i will say for the cost its very good and vfm. there may be many good tyres this does its job well.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. I am happy with GT3 expect for road noise,I was having wrong impression about GT3 as I though they also induce the dashboard vibrations!! but after a hose covering doe to springs the vibrations reduced.
    GT3 may not be the best tire but certainly not a worst one, it's good all round package.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Take a look at Potenza G3.
    I'm planning on chainging mine to that ,perhaps you might find it interesting as well...
    I will also get some prior hands on idea about them, should you buy it ;-)
    1 person likes this.
  10. pradhanbv

So how long you had used the 165/80 tyres before changing to 185/70?
    Or are you just comparing your FE to other reported FE?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.