1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why at tyre upgrade at the first place. Better thing would be to keep the same profile and go in for a better tyre viz Yoko, Michelin, Bridgestone etc.
  2. vks

vks

Bangalore
    Friends,

I need help with guidance on Tires & Wheels for my FGP MJD Emotion with which I lived / revelled 26810 KMs :redcar in 16 months on all kinds of city / highway / bad roads. Hope this thread is the right place for request :confused: I have read various feedbacks on few threads in TFI, but need some expert opinion from fellow TFI'ans:)

The front left shoe had a side wall damage :mad: at 12K kms, so tubed & kept as spare. The rear right shoe thread was eaten away in a months time after my 15K service, [Credit goes to Pimpri Pandit Auto's wheel alignment, :hit a lesson learned the hard way] still extracted ~12K kms more..
    The other 3 will last me probably another 7~8K...what the heck, its the time to reform, change :) :dance. . Friends, allow me to buy her a good set of shoes & if all of you agree, propose her a new set of wheels too.

Target:
    1) Must buy two shoes within a week, can't risk with the worn out shoe. (will put 2 new at the rear, replace damaged spare wheel)
    2) Any possible increase in ground clearence

Thoughts:
    I was dreaming FGP EPack's R15 alloys but after I saw Linea alloys on Grandeur's at Lonavala (I was ogling at it most of the time ::OO..) I wanted them but was wary of issues with suspension warranty etc., My front right suspension was already squeaking.

Checked with a contact in TA.S.S - He personally recommended me to keep on with the steel wheels considering the roads I drive since it can be repaired & its of low cost of ~3K against 12K for alloys (it seems there are above average number of alloy wheel damages being reported in the rainy ragions with roads / no-roads).

He suggested I may want to try Linea R15 steel than the GP / linea R15 allloys. Seems like a good idea to me, R15 steel wheel with 195/65 Shoes, probably Bridgestone Potenza GIII.

Is this a good choice? Please let me know your views / guidance?
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My suggestion is keep R14 steel wheel and buy all 4 new tyres, of 185/70 size.
    GC will be similar to E-pack and 185 section tyre is a good choice.
  4. vks

vks

Bangalore
    The TASS contact's option will give me ~10 mm more but still, Hmmm, :p your suggestion will save me a lot of money & will be quick to execute! ;)

Could you add-on to "185 section tyre is a good choice"?
  5. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On 14" rim, this is the maximum size one should go. So cost wise, its is the best proposition.
    If money is not an issue, go for alloys and 195/60 is the best fit.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    avoid going for 195/65 R15, chances are it will foul with the arc's

15" - 195/60
    14" - 185/70

the best fits possible
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    vks,
    I too have an emotion, done 27K in 23 months and my tyres looks good for another 10-15K. I had in between changed to 14" HRS alloys and when time comes I am planning to switch to 185/70R14 Bridgestone.
    The current tyre size of emotion is 175/70R14 and is quite good. So 185 section tyre is a good choice as it is wider than the 175 and cheaper than 195 section and it gives a GC almost same as that for emotion pack - a good compromise between cost and performance. I guess Ravi too meant the same.
  8. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes I meant same as royj said.

Also, do check Apollo Accelere in 185/70, this is best VFM, very good tyre.
  9. vks

vks

Bangalore
    Thanks for drilling some sense to me :uh

now:
    15" - 195/60: - Increased GC, Already in EPack so no arc-foul-worries :)
    14" - 185/70: - Sames as above with hopefully half the spend;):dancing

And, Bridgestone Potenza GII is a good choice, considering my higher usage / highway / no-way?
    High speed tire noise could still be a pain?

Missed this, I will check this for price. (BTW, I think Apollo is the stock shoes nowadays)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    How is the grip of POTENZA G2?
    What about its ride quality.

Presently my GT3 give a bouncy ride quality and the car feels like a hovercraft over 120.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.