1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That is a good suggestion VJ. thank you. But I am really not impressed with ZLO and the softer sidewall. My driving style on the highways have changed completely and I don't feel as confident as it was with GT3. Had a sidewall cut in the zlo when going to munnar, though the dip into the pit was not that harsh. Was with the family in the middle of the forest where I had to swap the spare wheel. I want the tyre to withstand such scenarios. That is when I decided to compromise the ride for the safety. Also the road noise was well controlled with zlo but it gave way for the engine noise, making the cabin anyways noisy. I really wanted to go for GT3 for the wayit boosted confidence in high speed but it has a very short life. Going by the reviews in TFI, I understood accelere is a better GT3.

Today evening when I changed new tyres for my wifes santro, I discussed with the tyre guy. He showed me falken sincera. he showed me the difference in sidewall between a bridgstone and falken. Falken was really stiffer than BS. Also the replacement policy in falken is good it seems. The brand is very new to me. Any hands on reviews ??? Falken is available only in 195/65 R15 costing 5200/tyre. In snapdeal 4 tyres costs 22100, 50 rs cheaper than accelere.

In my recent munnar trip I drove in some bad roads and in the yercaud trip I took a very unusual route to Yercaud which is done only by two wheeler and sometimes by jeeps. Almost a off roading going over rocks and stones. If I get to know such a route is available, I prefer to take it to taste the adventure. Though the car is not meant for that atleast the tyres should be of some assistance being harder instead of being softer.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I disagree.

I have driven 65000 kms in my Linea. Yes, the stock Acelere's were little noisy but with the second set, it is noiseless. Don't know if they have improved it. My Acelere is now run for 30,000 kms. and it is noiseless.

Regarding vj_v1's comment, I really can't say how you will feel with the Punto as the suspension for Punto and Linea are different. But, with Linea, Acelere's are just perfect for me. I briefly used ZLO's but, switched back to Acelere's.
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    ramesh, Acceleres used to be OE for Punto too. So technically it should not be any different as far as suitability is concerned.

Abdul
  4. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yesterday, I put on new shoes: Yokohama A drive. Cost/tyre: INR 4600. Free: Alignment, balancing and a Black & Decker Car Vacuum Cleaner. The stock GOODYEARs could not serve upto 40,000 kms. Hope these last long! Did not opt for any discount as that had to be routed through a forum run by powerful people with high connections.
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi, Got feedback from my friend who runs a tyre shop in Chennai Mogappair that Falkens are indeed good. But I have not tried it. If any in Chennai needs a down to earth, reliable guy, please contact Mr.Anand of Berton Tyres and refer my name. Btw, my Name is Ganesh.

I recently got my tyres changed in my Linea and I Chose 3PST. Will give an update later. Initial impressions are that it is Harder, Silent and not the very soft side wall kind where the previous Michelins where making handling like wobbly knees till the rubber hardened up. The tyres are so silent that the I could head the MJD roar when decelerating from 120 in 5th gear without throttle.

The negative side of the tyre is, we will hear even minute dash noise and vibrations inside the cabin and the Mjd noise is coming in more inside the Cabin since there is nil road noise.

They do fill the wheel wells okayish.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/modificat...nea-alloys-rear-drum-hub-3.html#post841910789

@Ramjn, I want to try the Aceleres in your car in the next meet. May be next time I could save on some cash. 5850 per tyre for 3PST is costlier than other tyres by a good couple of hundred for a tyre.

65731d1406525989-painting-linea-alloys-rear-drum-hub-20140727_112650.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am also contemplating to switch to Michelin, from Yoko C-Drive. C-Drive served me well for last 45+K kms. It can go for 10K more easily. But plan to move sooner.
    I have to decide between XM2 or 3PST. Both seems to be costing same.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    XM2 is old tyre and 3PST is a relatively new tyre and hence would suggest the newer technology. I am still having mixed emotions about the 3PST. It doesn't have that Magical Ride quality of the PLCs. Just completed some 200 kms in last two days since tyre change. Handling is good with 33 PSI and it feels connected to road. The undulations in road can be felt, in a connected kind of way. One thing is for sure, the Tyre is super Silent, but need to compare with the Silent models of Yokos and the side wall looks a little small in my opinion. Not sure how long the tyres will last.
    1 person likes this.
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I have now done close to 20000 kms on Michelin Primacy LC. Primary advantages are low noise and great grip on wet roads. On dry roads, the NCT5 beats the Primacy LC hands down (along with some unbearable noise from NCT5). From life perspective, I am not sure if these tyres would last beyond another 10000kms
    Also, the comfort levels of Michelin are primarily around 32 PSI. For the TJet, I have to fill the recommended levels of 36 PSI/33 PSI and with this the comfort level of PLC is normally missing. If I inflate to around 33/30 PSI then comfort is there but there are chances of puncture (got 2 punctures when tyre pressure was not at Fiat recommended level)
    My view: if the 3PST has done away with drawbacks of PLC then it can be considered
  9. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am too expecting only 30 K Kms as life for 3PST and PLC will be best around 32 PSI. The punctures may not always be because of running at 32-33 PSI. Sometimes, its pure bad luck.:(

How is the Noise level now in your PLC. Has it gone up or still the same ? Its bound to go up as the tyre hardens and more the tyre wears down as the cushioning layer in the tread goes down, but wanted to know how bad it is.
  10. Hi,
    I will suggest 3ST, it gives super silent and comfortable ride (may be due to addition of Silicon rubber) plus hard sidewalls to handle our bad road condition. so you get everything in this tyre. I am using 3st for past 2000 kms in my MJD linea.

Hi Ranjn,
    Before posting my this reply, I waited to actually drive on latest sets of aceleres. I must say new sets are also very noisy, not at all near to Michelin P3ST. If you have noiseless sets then you are seriously lucky. Or you must drive on Michelin P3ST if you havent till yet atleast before posting about noise level comparison . I am now more confident of my purchase.

Hi,
    Recently found that some apollo aceleres have following composition too:-
    Tread Plies:- 1 polyester+2 steel+ 1 nylon
    Side wall: 1 polyester

uploading pics of both types.

- - - Merged Post - - -

- - - Merged Post - - -

a.jpg

b.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
Thread Status: