1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anoop

anoop Superiore

Guys, a word for those who plan to sell old tyres. Do check out your neighbourhood puncture walla before you scrap your tyre for negligible value at showroom - they usually give good price for used tyres. I casually asked how much I will get for my tyre (Stock JK, 21K run) and the guy said he will give me between 400 - 500 INR for EACH tyre :O
    1 person likes this.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    The 15 incher tyres are difficult to sell. The roadside puncher wala's etc prefer the tyre sizes that are standard for cab's.
  3. neelchak

neelchak Timido

Mumbai
    I replaced my old stock GT3 with Alnac 4G. Nearly 500 kms later, I am not very impressed. Although, I am still betting on it. Following are some of my observations as of now.

Dry Grip: The car seems to hold very well with braking, but somehow I feel that I am losing the feedback and as such do not feel confident enough. However, that does not rule out the possibility that the tyres might be very good in dry grip.

Wet grip: Not tested yet

Gravel : Driven on gravel roads but not really tested hard braking on them.

Reverse braking - I mention it in particular because I feel when on reverse gear, the loss of feedback is even more.

Curve Handling - Fine so far, yet to push it to the limits which I have taken GT3 Linea, Potenza Giii and JK Tornado (Swift) to.

Noise - My god, the tyre makes a lot of noise. I feel as if I am on a racing car with the kind of noise the tyres are producing as of now. Would it reduce after some kms? I dont know.

Ride and Mileage- Probably one of the testimonial of the tyre's good grip is that the car now requires little more gas peddle pushing to achieve the same kind of RPM which it used to with GT3. I guess, mileage would take a negligible beating.

Durability - I had no punctures till 28k kms driven on GT3. I had total 8 punctures within the first week of Alnac. All 8 along the same line, so probably the tyres were plain unlucky, but would GT3 have given up on same situation. I doubt it.

Overall, if i had to decide today, maybe I would have gone for GT3 again over ZLO, XM2, AVS DB, Mich P3ST, MY02 and Alnac 4G

I would hopefully be back with more after doing 5000 or so kms before coming up with the final verdict. As of now, I am still hoping the tyres would perform brilliantly and my bet would pay off wink.gif
    5 people like this.
  4. anoop

anoop Superiore

Not exactly a tyre change query, but something similar in line. I am planing to get my tyres changed in another two months but not sure which route to take - stick with 14 inch but buy 175 or 185 section instead of 165\80, or upgrade to 15 inch. What are the plus points of upgrading to 15 inch?
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Anoop I would suggest you to go ahead with 195 60 15 profile with Linea 15" steel rims and Linea Active variant's wheel caps.

The price difference between 185 xx 14 and 195 60 15 will be not high and it will be worth to spend few grands for 15" tyres.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    The noise was diagnosed to a faulty bearing on the rear left wheel. After replacing the bearing at FASS under warranty the irritating noise has disappeared. Now the only grouse is the 2 punctures on one of the wheels!!
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I have ordered Yoko-AR01 A drive tyres, set of 4 at ₹6800 per tyre [205/55/R16], at a shop in Trivandrum.
    They will replace my stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5, at 38,000 kms. One tyre has gone almost bald.
    Yoko-A-AR01.jpg

I was looking for Acelere Maxx [₹6700]. The shop guy says it is not available now.
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Thats a nice unbiased review neelchak!
    1 person likes this.
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

I agree about the cost part Kedar - and I am ready to do it also, but I was trying to find what exactly are the postives of upgrading to 15 inchers? (other than the slight increase in GC).
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

These are placed below the C drives then at the price?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.