1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Handling can take a marginal beating but not too much for the size you are thinking of downgrading to, but there are plus and minus benefits with both the broad tyres vs narrower width tyres with bigger profile of say 60 or 65. For the Tjet with increased GC the 205 width is better, besides the kerb weight factor (load rating/index factor) is also beneficial for overall tyre health in long run. The FE improvement may not be too significant if running is not high, you can compensate that with better driving techniques.
  2. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ johnycomelate: The taller the profile, the higher the sidewall and the more it will flex and hence handling will reduce. In your case the difference will be marginal and anyway you have already mentioned that you are not going to be cornering hard.

There are many different tyres in the market and if you avoid the regular OE tyres and choose ones with a softer compound the grip would be better.
  3. Johnycomelate

Johnycomelate Novizio

Kochi
    Thanks,you have answered most of my doubts.Only,I wish to point out that my T-jet is 2011 year make with 170mm GC,not the latest with 190 mm.Would this make any difference to your reply above ?

- - - Merged Post - - -

5u3zEr0 @ Thanks,buddy !
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Don't even think of increasing your ground clearance :D! Leave the Tjet as it is and you are welcome
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    My personal opinion of increased GC is purely in a practical sense incase your Linea scraps or hits the bottom guard plate. If suspension is not too old or worn out such that it is affecting guard plate safety and ride quality best not to go for GC kit. However, there has been polar differences in opinions regarding GC kit, with some of our TFIans reverting back to older setup. Purely perceptual view points IMHO.
  6. abhishek643

abhishek643 Timido

pune
    Hi Team,

I have punto MJD Emotion. Its clocking 47000Kms. I need to know when tyre's should be changed.

After reading lot of post i am confused what size of tyre should i prefer if i have to change it. My usage is in city and on highways.

Also by changing the size will it increase the Ground clearence?

Thanks,
    Abhishek
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    abhishek,
    From your handle name i can see your car is emotion variant and i believe you have R15 alloys.

Normally stock tires have profile as 195/60/R15.

i would suggest you to go for 195/65/R15 tires this will increase GC by 7-8mm.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    At last i have once again listened to my heart. With respect to fiat i listened when i went to buy the car and now to buy the tyres. I replaced my current GoodYear GT3 with Yokohama Earth1 195/65/15 profile and with that new tyres I had also covered 1500 kms. Will post the pictures of the car along with the tyres. The tyres fit perfectly in the wheel well.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    How much did they cost and how is the handling in comparison to GT3, is there a weird feeling on cornering at high speeds or heavy braking?
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A set of 4 tyres costed 21220/-. The break up of the cost is as follows

cost of one tyre: 5100/-
    cost of 4 tyre: 20400/-
    Alignment charges: 0/-
    Wheel Balancing Charges: 600/- (150/- per tyre since its an alloy wheel).
    Scrap value for the old tyres: 200/- (50/- per tyre)
    2% extra for card payment: 420/-
    Total: 21220/-

Apart from the discount, i got a black&decker car vacuum cleaner free as a promotional offer going on for a purchase of any set of 4 yokohama tyres.

vj_v1, I did not notice any weird feeling on high speed cornering when compared to GT3 apart from a slight increase in body roll. Absolutely nothing on heavy braking. Though one thing i noticed is that the car bounces more when it goes over some uneven surfaces, like expansion joints in bridges at high speeds (>110 kmph) and also on very low speeds over multiple bumps when compared to GT3. Also, underbody scrapping on bumps are not noticed but still to try on all mega bumps on which my car's underbody used to scrap earlier on 195/60/15 GT3 tyres.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.