1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDrifter

TheDrifter Amatore

Hyderabad
    @PaddleShifter - I heard from Yoko dealer saying if maintained well, S-drive will last easily upto 40k depending on driving style. I'm not into hard breaking or drifting all times, but may be occasionally.
    I didn't considered anyother brand apart from Yoko, thought i have seen Pirelli they are way beyond costly. I have seen Continental CPC2 pics online but the threading doesnt look sporty. Does anybody using Yoko S-drive give any inputs on longevity?
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Definitely, nothing beats the Yokos when it comes to the tread pattern. CPC2s don't look good with those 3 parallel trenches along the circumference of the tyre.

I remember seeing the thread of Red GP owner who got 205 section Yokos for his car. The thread was started sometime back in September/October 2010. The guy had those tyres lying inside his house for a few days before getting them fitted. Maybe we can PM him for updates. Let me search.

Edit- It's TFI member "jiji". Other members with Yokos on their cars are:
    "Maverick123" http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/member.php?525-maverick123
    "Soccerfan"
    "Phew" running Yoko S drive 205 section on GP. He is online as of now.
    Phew's profile: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/member.php?966-Phew

See these 2 threads:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?1116-Tyre-Upsize-Pics/page3
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?686-Rate-of-tyre-wear/page2
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Recently a friend of mine had his Yoko ES100 tyres sidewall torn within 2000km of use, while my brother still uses Yoko ES100 at 36000km without a puncture, its almost worn out now.
    While hunting for tyres a dealer said that GT3 will run for 80000km, LIAR!! Most tyres lasts anywhere between 35000 to 45000, any claims above that can be ignored.
  4. TheDrifter

TheDrifter Amatore

Hyderabad
    When i felt Yoko Sdrives I felt rubber was pretty soft and smooth unlike GoodYear GT3. So does any one have good driving experience with GT3 ? Which ones are good in rough and tough conditions, because I may be driving in some rough roads too. I don't mind paying extra 13k to go for Yoko 205-55 Or Michelin PP2(which are also worth considering) by swapping my GT3 but how much would it effect the false ODO or Mileage?
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are sure about the rough roads stay away from Michelin and Yokos. Bridgestone will be a good choice, except for the noise GT3 is a reliable tyre for rough roads.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @drifter : yoko's S-drives are very good tyre's for the money and they do last close to 40k, given my driving habits. Though there are better options available out there if ur not brand conscious. "HLS" is a new brand and have an almost identical pattern to S-drives and have good grip levels a few of my friends are using them in there cars (Accord, baleno, etc), and for the money nothing can beat them, only rs 3500/- per tyre for 15". Sheer value for money, but if ur still bent on buying the S-drives then go ahead they are one of the best VFM options out there.

do look at Michelin primacy LC incase u want silent and no nonsense tyres and can shell out close to 5.5k per tyre, if u lik noise and lots of it then u can look at PP2

205/55 will give a more accurate figure as opposed to 195/60 which have quite a significant % of difference to real speed
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I had NCT5 which had run more than 72,000 Kms & could have gone for more when I replaced those tires with Aceleres due to technical reason. The aceleres had run more than 75K when exchanged my car with the current Punto 90HP which has Aceleres. Hence tyres running for 80K is possible.
  8. TheDrifter

TheDrifter Amatore

Hyderabad
    Even Punto90hp petrol one having Aceleres, but when i saw my Diesel Punto90hp they are with Goodyear GT3, when questioned the executive they said factory fitted comes so for few models especially in diesel:firey. Not sure how well I can trust their words. When i checked VIN, its manufactured in May 2011.
    Can someone else confirm who took delivery of their 90hp beast diesel has what tires?
  9. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    Have a quick query! I'm looking to swap the GT3's with Primacy LC. I read earlier that swapping the stock size 195/60/15 with 195/65/15 can give a little increase in GC (very small one since the overall diameter increases by 3.17%). Is it sensible?

One benefit of doing this upsize for E-pack owners is that the speedo error will reduce a bit. In stock form, it is 6-7%.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    22ji , TFIan Pran has done the very same swap as the one you are contemplating. There is a marginal increase in GC, but the real benefits would be a more insulated ride. Better insulation from the road imperfections.

Higher profile=more cushioning=lesser bumps transmitted to occupants=happier suspension=happy occupants

And in India, it makes perfect sense to do so. :)

Gurjinder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.