1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

You are bingo! The speedo error sometimes frustrates (not same level of complaints with distance and mileage stats). Theoretically, it induces as much as 6-7% of error. It's not that bad upto 100 KM/hr but as the speed increases, the error multiplies itself. It will show 160 Km/hr as 150 km/hr (compared to stock). That is huge difference!

There is slight body roll noticed but only at speeds above 130-140 Km/hr. For eg. there is a big loopy turn that i used to travel through everyday. The car feels like it is riding on high-heel lady sandals as compared to Sport shoes earlier, still never out of control though. You will hear more Tyre squeaking at high speeds which you never did in stock tires.

When it comes to positives, the ride becomes so comfortable, you will love it. I am not sure if Ganges will have the same feeling by swapping only 2 rear tires. It takes away ample load of crashing from suspension and potholes just don't exisit anymore. The suspension is very relaxed.

You will also enjoy increased GND Clearance (in case of 4 tires). As far as scrapping to the body is concerned, i have tried that with full load and high speedy turns but yet to experience anything like that. The tradeoff's are pretty clear. Aesthetically, it enhances because most of the wheel arc is filled (especially in the front).

For next tyre change, i am looking for configuration like 205/60 if any tyre company provides that. 205/55 will make ride harsh. I am not very enthusiastic about 205/65 configuration any more but it wasn't bad experience at all!!
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. l13mjd

l13mjd Amatore

Ahmedabad
    Limraj, changemytyre .com or tireonwheels .com is offering MY02 still. At least in my 205/55 spec, so check there.
  3. pvnaraya

pvnaraya

Chennai
  4. Blackbox

Blackbox

Bangalore
    The 165/80 spec tyres should be banned on the Puntos. The day i upgraded to 185/70 I experienced all the great things that others spoke of a Punto.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i said wrong price its 6400INR pai advance of 2000INR so tuesday i will receive set of two tires.

Strange, is he a tire dealer ? :D avs db have 205/65/r15

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks ENKI for your intime review,i have checked it shows 5.3% difference.
    I'm a sedate driver,drive mostly 80-120Kmph band. :)
    For 205/60/R15 Yoko A drive is available.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    IIRC, the difference should be about 3% max. Anyways, I am wondering how to recalibrate the speedometer. :confused:
  7. pvnaraya

pvnaraya

Chennai
    Sorry.. I am not able to get you :(
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nopes it cant be done,have to depend on GPS.
    one thing i noticed with 195/65/15 profiles that the car speedo exactly matches with GPS.

- - - Merged Post - - -

The question is will you allow something to happen without your knowledge ?
    i have experienced the spin with new tires at front and old tires at rear,very dangerous. i would say strictly avoid it.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ganges it can be done. :) It is done on Chrysler's Jeep Wrangler for example. We just dont have the tools and/or knowhow. I am sure some ROM needs to flashed for this.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.