1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahamed Beig

Ahamed Beig Novizio

Bangalore, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Goodyear GT3 on my car fitted (as new), though there was wear on the exterior side. It has clocked 56,000 still running good and 5th year running.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    :).

Indranil, with your post, it is quite clear, you already undertand lot of tyres and not much can be suggested.

I feel MY02 and/or Michelin XM2 should be good choice.
    For stiffer than MY02, try Bridgestone Potenza, but this is relatively older tyre.

BTW, how was your experience with GT3?
  3. neelchak

neelchak Timido

Mumbai

Thanks for the response Ravi. Guess what, coincidentally, I currently have MY02 and XM2 as the front runners. XM2 is apparently way too expensive although I am still not down to getting quotations. I know both these have good grip. Any idea about how they handle cornering in speed?
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think MY02 should have some edge over XM2 in cornering, but XM2 has edge on being silent and more grippy.
  5. neelchak

neelchak Timido

Mumbai
    Oh and yes, about my experience with GT3. Till about 20k+, I think the tyres performed brilliantly. The cars' handling, grip was amazing. Not a single puncture ever despite driving and parking in nail/ thorn prone areas. I never think much about tyre noise and have hardly tried to guage much in those regards. Similarly, I am not too cringy about comfort I guess, although as I said before, till 20k the car overall was as comfortable as I have ever been on any car. But since around 25k, I have had a feeling that the wheels stray towards left, feel wobbly. (Again this could be because a much touted Bosch Garage in Delhi actually did a pretty bad job with alignment and returned my linea with its steering wheel little misaligned to the left. Since then none of the other garages/ FASS has been able to correct it completely). The confidence to speed on highways is low (Although I have driven Delhi- Mumbai on GT3 having already done 25k+). Also, recently, GT3's dry grip is also low and I have adjusted my driving style to give me enough space for emergency braking. I had couple of incidents where the car lost traction. Also, recent inspection on the tyre has detected a bump on my tyre. So, in short the tyres are great but not beyond 25k mileage.
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ GP freak: I like the Primacy 3's better....The Primacy LC's contact area with the road surface was smaller becuase of its construction design and I find them stiffer. The Primacy 3's look far better. Incidentally it just struck me that my dad's current car has the Primacy HP! :D

@ NeelchaK: Out of the lot I would pick up the AVS db. They look uni directional to me, are you okay with that?
    1 person likes this.
  7. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I brushed a rock while parking but did not expect it to cut the sidewall.
    upon inspecting i found the compund is quiet soft.
    I changed the tyre to rear as it looks safe for use as therear tyre.
    I have used michellin twice in my car last one was xm1 in my swift, that too had sidewall cut.
    Still i bought this time thinking 3pst has improved but faced same issue or just my luck.
    but i must say it's an amazing tyre to drive, just be carefull on bad roads.
  8. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    After reading my previous post I find that what I wrote meant that the LC's were stiffer than the 3ST's whereas I meant the other way round. The Primacy 3ST are stiffer than the Primacy LC. I would also like to add that when I was searching for tyres in June 2013, my first choice was the Michelin PP2 but unfortunately they were not available then. Hence had to settle for the Primacy 3ST.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Here is my opinion.
    Extreme softness is not for Indian conditions no matter how one drives.
    Having said that care has to be taken no matter what tyre one chooses

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  10. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I completely agree with SoumenPaul, P3st are good tyres but not good on Indian roads. I had to replace a tyre due to a burst within 3000kms/1 month driving. And the worst part is that I had not hit anything except might be a few pot holes which were not very bad. I dont mind a tyre where the noise is slightly higher but gives good comfort and life.

Kiran
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.