1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

PP2 is long discontinued. Wonder why its still on their web site

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  2. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    195 width is perfect for a 7j alloy to my knowledge.

If your car is a Punto, 195 section width is more than enough of grip for the power you have. Go ahead with 195 width.
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    3pst is the best anong all tyres i have driven.
    super comfort, super grip and zero noise. Only poblem is softer compound on sidewall and not good for indian potholed road.
    i am driving on it for last 2k km and already got two small sidewall cuts.
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @ soumen paul: I am surprised with the side wall cuts. Are the roads you drive on, very bad? Ah you will live in Bangalore, the roads are bad there. Comfort and noise I agree but grip I think they are a little down. I could just feel it letting go when I corner hard.
  5. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Cornering, you cant compare with gt3, but better than yoko c drive i used before. What is the tyre pressure you maintain ?
  6. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last Friday (4/4) I was driving towards Hassan to my in-law's town (NH75 - Bangalore to Mangalore). At almost near Bellur cross, because of a small distraction in the cabin, I wobbled a bit and my tires brushed with the median. The next happened is the burst in the front wheel. As I set the speed alarm at 80, I was driving around that speed. That helped me to brake safe and take the car to the corners. The Right front wheel damaged to a stage of irrepairable. The back wheel had a small bent. I checked a puncture shop there. Changed the front wheel with the spare and the puncture shop man advised to travel only a shorter distance and so I driven slowly to reach (around 70KM) my in-law's place.

IMAG0821.jpg IMAG0822.jpg IMAG0823.jpg IMAG0824.jpg

Then I asked my father-in-law to take me to remove the bend in the other wheel. That guy heated the wheel and removed the bend. Yesterday I driven back to Bangalore with these tires. I checked the stress the tire can take in a non-danger zone by pressing the pedal to reach 100KM, sudden brake, and slow brake.

Now I plan to change the wheel (mine is dynamic so 14" steel rim) to alloys after driving another 1000KM.

My questions are:

1. Is it safe to drive with the wheel with the bend removed?
    2. If it is safe, how many KMs I can drive with this?
    3. Is it advisable to wheels from 14" to 15" (alloy)?

As well I expect suggestions in selecting the alloys. As I know the factory alloys costs more (10k apiece; I don't have budget for 50K to change all 5), I wish to go for off-market alloys. Don't want to change the alloys frequently so I need some good quality alloys (Don't want the best alloy that suits but some good ones).
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi. Actually I put it in Safety First because of driving with damaged wheel rim.
  9. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    unfortunate incident Senthil!
    Its not worth the risk. i would suggest to change right away.
  10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    I think you should not travel with those tyres except for short, slow speed urban drives. Ideally you should them at the earliest.

15" alloys will be better than 14" alloys to look and handling. OE alloys would be the same staid wheels so you would be using the same wheel every Punto has. You will not 98 PCD alloys but there are many 100 PCD ones, which is just 0.5mm extra per hole. Which to me is nothing. I have changes my Palio's wheels from OE 14" to aftermarket Lenso 15" 100 PCD with no problems.

Get yourself good 15" tubeless tyres depending on what you prefer or want from your tyre. There are many brands available out there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.