1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly , 195 70 R15 is a huge tire. I have no idea whether you can even fit it on the Punto. It fits the needs and performance requirements of load carriers and people movers etc rather than that of a car like the Punto.

Secondly, the only effect an upsized tire will have on performance is that it will marginally increase the acceleration times ; because upsized tires increase the effective gear ratios, that is , make them a bit higher.

So , enjoy the Punto as it is. If you're really serious about increasing GC , then a change in the suspension set up is the best way out.

Good luck.

Gurjinder.
  2. mrohit17

mrohit17 Timido

Gandhidham
    205 60 r15

With 205 60 R 15 you will get a marginal increase of 6mm in GC upon 195 60 R15 (Stock tyre size of e-pack) and certain members are running their Puntos on these shoes already. With this size upgrade you will remain well within the allowable limit of upsize (2.5%). I think you should go for this one.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    using tirecalc http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

195/60/r15 diameter =24.2 ,revs per mile=833

195/70/r15 ,diameter=25.7 (doesnt look that big ,does it?) ,revs per mile=783.

195/65/r15=25, revs per mile=807

performance:-
    i did not mean just the power or engine power.
    in gear acceleration in first gear to be much better with an upsize .what say?

i expect increased fuel mileage and GC.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Well I am not sure.. the figures you give are correct, but the difference is not too small to ignore. See the chart below. This is taken from 1010tires.com
    There will be an increase in GC alright, but there will be a reduction in measure FE as your odo will be running slow.

tyre comparison.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Tyre Upgrade

Hi
    I plan to upgrade the tyres of the Linea(MJD) with 205/60/R15. Is this an ideal upgrade?

Mods Note - Threads merged.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  6. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    brothers,

am willing to put linea oem alloys and 205 15" on my punto emotion,currently my ogre is running on 175 14"inch rims. would it be advisable for this upgrade???i have heared that linea oem are not compatible with 205 size rubber??wouldthere be any issues if my punto is equipped with 15" 205 like rubber touching the body and 4 people with tank full ????
  7. 205/60 there will be little bad for the car.
    but if you get any thing lower than that the side profile of the tyre will go down and less sponge action. more pothholes will be felt.
    also the rim might get damaged
    195/65 is the best bet
  8. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    Hey all,

needs xpert advice , my friend is going for a tyre upgrade on Honda Civic (15k) , currently uses Bridgestone, but ride quality is not that smooth, He doesn't wants to go for michelin ( considering our roads , & he needs to sell of his car by dec 2011 ) ,

which one should he opt for : Continental CPC2 / Apollo Accelere

could anyone share pros & cons ?

Atul
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    OT

Your friend would be better off getting used tires having atleast 50% tread remaining in them. Only 5 months to go. No point spending on brand new tires i'd say.
  10. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur
    gurjinder ,

since his civic has run only 15k in last 4 years , (uses it very rarely as he has a Alto which he uses for regular use) the existing tyres have become hard & needs replacement.

Atul
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.