1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    They told me that 185/70/14 is now available in Db series too. It wasn't there earlier. Maybe just launched. MRP comes to around 4800.
  2. Gorav

Gorav

New Delhi
    Got Bridgestone Turanza AR 20 - 185/70/R14 for my Punto today
    1 person likes this.
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Primacy 3ST

Hi!,

I had replaced my Puntos tyres on 24th Dec 2013. After 3000 kms on 31st Jan one of the tyre burst. Difficult to understand the reason, there was a phat sound and the tyre went flat. Luckily was not @ high speed. Attached photos of the road, which is a new concretised road near Kharghar. As expected my claim is rejected :(. Are the side walls of these tyres so weak that even a small stone can cut it? Am worried as my drive will be more on the rural roads & Highways.

tyre1.jpg

tyre2.jpg

tyre3.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Looks some hit on sidewall, did Micheline gave any reason for denying warranty?
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I read somewhere that concrete roads heats the tyre too much. So road has better life, not the tyre. :(

I am not assuming that the side wall burst was because of the road :). As Ravi mentioned above, looks like a stone hit.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If its a hit, it must be a very small stone or something which I would have missed and if that can penetrate the tyre so easily is worrying. Michelin also just said that as it a hit on the side wall hence complaint turned down.

Kiran
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    a small stone cant do damage so severly,if it have been a big stone you might have find some scratches on the alloy as well.
    Interesting!!!
  8. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Hi TFI,
    I'm planning for upgrading the New stock tyres and steel wheels (Just after delivery of New Vehicle). My first preference is the tyre upgrade and if the alloy wheels upgrade will be in my budget can go for it. Any suggestion on shops or contact number would be of great help. Looking for the best, should be a expert in alignments and balancing.

1) Which is the best alloy wheels for 1.2 Punto ?
    2) What would be the price range per alloy wheels ? Do they take back the Stock wheels back and work out something?
    3) I think if I'm planning for alloy wheels I need to select diff dimension tyres too. Which is the suggested one ? And If I'm not going for Alloy wheels 185/70 R14 was the suggested one in other TFI thread.
    4) Which tyres are the best one. Stability, Noise wise and comfort wise. I think with alloy and without will not matter in quality wise.
    5) What would be the price range for those tyres?

TIA
    Prateek
  9. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hey Prateek,

there is a seperate after alloy thread which will give you all the details you would need to know:
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/tyres-alloys/5963-aftermarket-alloys-discussions.html

just a FYI, Punto comes with 98pcd size which is not a aftermarket frendly, you do not get many options for the 98 pcd size. You get a lot of 100 pcd alloys with many designs and styles but strongly avoid those, even if your accessories owner has a multiple pcd alloys kindly avoid these.

I suggest you retain the Solid Steel rims and the Wheel caps, you can go for and tyre upgrade, 175/65 R14 or 185/60 R14 size, you can get a decent exchange value for your new tires, there are plently of options to choose from, Good-Year, Bridgestone, Michelin, Yoko.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Best recommended size is 185/70 on 14" rim. Lots of options to choose from.

If you are looking for comfort, take Michelin XM2 (I hope it is available in this size).
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.