1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Yes Abdul. I have played around with the air pressure, starting initially from 32, going to 34, 36, 38 and then back to 36.
    My previous tyres were Bridgestone B250 175/70 R14 and they too were pretty good.
    1 person likes this.
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    But royj, I have a question. If one fills 36 psi cold pressure, then what happens when the car does a good highway run at higher speeds and higher ambient and road tarmac tremperature? ( A 30 psi cold filling will be 36+ after a 10 km run) Wont the air expansion reach unsafe levels for the tyre ? Have you done long trips or has been just commuting in an around trivandrum? These levels are working for you, but will it in the real world when many try it under very very different conditions? would be interesting to know.

I dont want to create a stir here. All these adjustments and fine tuning are necessitated after one buys a tyre which one is not instantly comfortable with and tries to find a solution around it. Better solution would be to get to know multiple user experiences and then decide. I am not saying your choice was wrong, but I guess you were one of the early buyers of the ZLO.

On a lighter note. Were you swayed by the tire maker of malayali origin?:))

Abdul
  3. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I had tried 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 on my Yoko A drive.
    I felt 35 and 36 is little more considering the comfort factor and more beating to shock absorbers on potholes.
    Finally i settled down to 34 and is good for highway as well as country roads.
  4. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Abdul, I do go on long drives and I have read somewhere long ago that if going on a long drive, increase the air pressure by 1-2 psi from your regular setting. The theory as explained in the article was the increased pressure reduces the sidewall flex, and the sidewall flex is one of the reason for tyre overheating.
    In fact before starting on a long drive across Tamilnadu last December, I had inflated all tyres to 38psi.

Coming to brand, I had absolutely no respect for MRF ever since my father had a bad experience with his scooter tyres back in the early 1980s. Bridgestones were my favourite and my Santro too rode on them (until I tried Apollo for the last change). It was the price and a few good reviews that prompted me to try out ZLO.

I am not claiming these are the best tyres, it depends on your usage and handling preferences. What I have felt is the user experience as described by Michelin users - Good Grip, Silent, and Comfortable - almost matches what I have experienced on ZLOs, and then you consider the price difference between them.

Having said all this, will I go for ZLO again? The answer will depend on my finances at that point of time. If on a crunch, I wouldn't mind taking them again, they are good VFM, but if I have the resources, I would definitely look to experiment with other brands. But that's just me - never faithful to a brand (even FIAT?)
    4 people like this.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The correct cold tyre pressure recommended by Fiat is 2.3 bar i.e, 34 psi at front and 2.1 bar i.e, 31 at rear (medium load), 2.3 bar i.e, 34 psi rear if full load.

Add 0.3 bar i.e, 4-5 psi if tyres warm.

So if the tryes are under inflated they wears out faster from outer ends.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. Gorav

Gorav

New Delhi
    Fellow Fiat Lovers, one query
    My stock tyre, JK Tornado, 165/80/R14, completely worn out at 42.5K, I can see the steel wire on driver's tyre :-(

Query 1: Should I upgrade to 185/70/R14 ? Any pros and cons of upgrading ? specially around Mileage and driving comfort. I usually drive from Delhi to Noida Daily. 65 kms per day
    Query 2: Michelin Energy XM2 (4800 per piece) or Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 (4400 per piece) Delhi rates. Feedback on both please
    Query 3: Will it have any affect on ground clearance?:confused:
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today midnight around 2 30 am my pun to experienced a severe damage to the alloy wheel due to which yoko a vs db completely become out of use.
    Now im in need of a only one tyre so thought to have a Earth. Need your reviews? Is it available in 195 65 R15?
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Earth 1 is not available in 195 profile.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Anna. Why do you want to introduce a third tyre brand onto ur car now?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Given a chance Ganges Anna will have a different brand for each of the 5 tyres.

But seriously. Go for DBs again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.