1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Now Yokohama Earth -1 tyres are available in 195/65/ R15 size. Got one set on friend's fluidic Verna.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    MRF ZLO Long term review

MRF ZLO's used for 25000 Kms (10 months).

Basically, i'm here to confirm the humming noise issue that Sunswape reported here.

I have been facing this humming/whirring noise for the last 5K kms or so. To the ear it definitely sounds like there is an issue with a bearing and to add to it i felt as if i can feel the friction within the bearing when i am driving the car at very low speeds. The sound disappears as soon as the wheels stop.

My wheel bearing were replaced recently so the SC guys were sure that is not the issue. We went on a test drive and they were suspecting the Intermediate bearing on the drive shaft. They opened it up and fitted a drive shaft from another car and we went on a test drive. The humming noise was still there :eek:.

They immediately replaced all tyres from another car and we went on another test drive only to realize that the noise has disappeared.

Given that this noise is seen on multiple cars, there is a definite manufacturing issue. They seem to have re-launced the ZLO's with improvements recently but i have no idea if they have fixed this issue.

Now that i have already done 25000 kms on these, i do not wish to make any warranty claims and get another set of ZLO's on a pro-rata basis from MRF and use them for another 40k Kms. I'll just live with this noise and hopefully exhaust this set of tyres in about 4-5 months/15000 kms and move on to a different brand.

To complete my review, i'd like to mention the other factors as well.

- The grip is excellent in both wet and dry conditions.
    - Road noise is pretty low even at 25k kms mileage (apart from the humming noise which is even more irritating that the road noise).
    - Comfort in rough roads is good.

- Side walls are soft and hence some sharpness in high speed handling and cornering is lost (compared to my previous Apollo Accelere's) like any other more expensive soft tyres available in the market.

Srida - No humming noise with your set of ZLO's?
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    I've been using ZLOs for the last 15,000 km and no humming noise observed yet.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    I'll record the sound and post here for reference.
    1 person likes this.
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi sdp1975,

your tyres are ran for 15k only while vj_v1's are already crossed 25k mark.

If you are not getting the humming sound yet then may be after next 5k you will definitely experience the same.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Pardon me, but why should the tyres on sdp1975's car definitely start 'humming' after 5k km's?
    1 person likes this.
  7. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurjinder, I guess its in reference to lots of reports regarding the humming noise experienced by ZLO users in other threads as pointed out by vj_v1.

@rishike007- The timing of humming noise is variable for most members. So we should not make a ZLO user apprehensive by giving limits in Kms after which it might start humming. I hope you understand what I mean.

@sdp1975- Its good that the ZLOs are going great after 15000km. I hope they continue doing so till the end of their mileage life.
  8. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    Ordered 2 No GY Eagle F1 205/55 R16 V Rating. Dealer said it takes 4 days for 2013 make, i have to wait
  9. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    I have been using MRF ZLOs for the past 20,000 kms and really have nothing to complain.
    Here is a video for experts to comment on the noise part. I really couldn't find anything other than engine and wind noise.
    The drive was done with the front windows rolled down, stereo muted, speed between 45 and 55 kmph, MRF ZLO with 36psi all round. Tyre size 185/70 R14.

10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Royj, from your experience of the ZLO, what I understand is that you have toyed with the air pressure initially and arrived at 36 psi when you realsed that the ZLO was not performing exactly to your requirements compared to your previous stint which may have been on JK tornado. May be that air pressure is the secret that took you around the weakness of the ZLO. The 36 psi is definitely not a pressure that is normally done. It is way beyond the 32 and 30psi recommended by FIAT. Probably other users should try out this air pressure that has borne out of your R and D. Understanding a product and tuning it to your requirement does make a difference. Now it will be interesting to hear from the others who were complaining. If they benefit, it could be one of the advantages of being among the fiat community on the TFI forum.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.