1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 195/60 R15s GP has positive error of 9kms,by shifting 205/55 it's reduced to 6 kms.
    -Sat
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  2. vinz

vinz

IXE
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ srikaratluri, & @gurjinder,

This is regarding your recommendation of putting the two new tyres in the front. I was reading the recommendation on the Michelin site:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/replacement-questions/

This is what it says:

"If you’re replacing only two tires, be sure to have the new tires installed on your vehicle’s rear axle. Here’s why:
    New tires will provide better wet grip than your half-worn tires.
    When new tires are installed on the rear, it helps reduce the potential for your vehicle to fishtail or hydroplane in wet conditions."

Sounds logical to me.

Regards
    Johnny
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @johnny

Fair point sir.

But it seems more applicable to a Rear Wheel drive car.

But in a FWD car, the additional responsibility of transmitting the power is also on the front tires apart from steering and taking most of the braking stress. And older tires at front can also lead to skidding and enhancing understeer.

So, the way out, to me seems :
    If we have two partially worn tires , due to malpractices or defects, then we can keep new ones at front and the other , better pair at the back.

If the two tires which will go to the back are in too poor a condition,then its better to replace all four in one go.

What are your views, sir?

Gurjinder.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Gurjinder,

I too had the same view initially. I just checked a few other sites including:

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/carcare/tire-replacement-guidelines.jsp

&

http://www.laramietire.com/abcs/replacement.htm

They all say the same: If changing only two tyres, new tyres must be put in the rear. The Firestone site has a video about the subject. The car featured is a Toyota Camry, which, if I am not mistaken, is a front wheel drive car.

So, I think that the pair of new tyres must go on to the rear.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Point taken Johnny sir , and i stand corrected.

Regards,
    Gurjinder.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    tire size and dirty ideas.

i was wondering if upsizing tire can improve a bit of perfomance.

from stock 195/60/r15 to 195/70/r15.

considering the positive speedo error i think the tire upsize will compensate it.

expecting a marginal increase in speed and much coveted ground clearance..!!!

is there any method to measure speed accurately?(no more mobile gps pls)
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  8. jayadev
    fear you might not be doing the upgrade.
    the guys at the tyre shop i go regularly told me not to go ahead with the upgradea as the inside of the tyre would touch the arches when the steering is turned. that was the reason i bought new tyres of the same size.

and that marginal speedo error would infact negate the speed error we get and the real speed might be shown on the display.
    now there is a 4-6 kmph difference between the speed shown on the display and the gps
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    tyre upsize improves performance? who gave you this wild idea?
  10. well that was what even i was thinking..
    but that will increase the muxh needed ground clearance for sure
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.