1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Bridgestone MY02 is also for comfort. Take a call based on your requirements.
  2. Manilruben

Manilruben Amatore

Chennai
    Conti premium contact 2 they are good tyres with excellent road grip.
    1 person likes this.
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Second that. Have them on the 90HP.Great tyres, still do not get why few people are against it. :)
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Check the strut pads. MY02 are the softest of the lot, comfort tyres. They will never cause thud.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Let Manusankar come back. And then I will post why he should not opt for ZLO. :D
  6. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Finally it was time to get new shoes for my baby. Did some basic research on tires and googled around to see what’s currently hot in market. Came out with a list of name amongst which the topers where but of course the foreign brand.

Michelin (PLC)
    Yokos (A/C drives)
    Bridgestone (MY 02)
    Goodyear (Assurance Kevlar tech)
    MRF ZLO

I was never keen on Michelin because I have heard its horror stories and the most famous amongst them was sidewall bulge on pothole impact. With given conditions of our roads it just didn’t make any sense to pay hefty premium and then get warranty denials.

Yokos, didn’t try but C drives was my taste. Grippy and soft on road.

Bridgestone, did hear good praises for it and with MY 02 being improved upon MY 01 it seemed promising.

Goodyear, I got to hear their new Assurance series. One of the dealer sang praises for it but when I inquired about GT3 his tone changed to condemning! Anyway having GY already I wanted to try something else.

And then I came across to the MRF ZLO. The first thought of MRF made me think about truck tyres…he…he…he… And being Indian and known for their hard compound they never made it to main stream and so was its reputation. But I got to hear of their new recent range ZLO and it was all praises everywhere. So I thought to take a chance (good/bad).

I googled and extracted several dealers selling MRF ZLO. I inquired the prices and shortlisted one. The dealer quoted me 4900 per tyre 195/60 R15 (I changed four, Stepney still being GT3), free fitting, free alignment, free balancing, free nitro. I agreed as I couldn’t find better quote and was in hurry to get them replaced before my vacation.
    There was a shortage of staff that day so it took couple of hours to get the things done. Once everything was settled I was handed over the key of my car. I just put it to ignition and slotted first gear. It was tarmac road and car wanted to just shoot like a rocket (as always J) and suddenly got a feel that I never felt before! I was riding on a carpet!!! Yes, you heard it right, the ZLO are softer than GT3 and all the nerving feeling of the thuds, potholes, rocks etc. suddenly disappeared. The car just glided over the road and tyres just ate up anything under them. Felt like heaven and was happy about my investment.

Next day I was supposed to travel to Nashik on the scenic and extremely curvy NH3. This was the test for the tires and my judgement J The car was fully loaded with 5 passengers (my family), the road extremely scenic and the atmosphere drizzling. 90% of that stretch is tarmac and I never missed a chance to test the tires. Here is what I felt them on various metrics.

1) Handling – The tires are only made for handling! They are extremely grippy wet/dry. I did 120 kmph on wet roads and did couple of steep corners (not on ghats J) and no feeling of swaying screeching etc. In fact it is inspiring and assuring. One thing I would like to mention here is that it requires bit of effort to keep steering in position while taking steep turns which I never had to with GT3.

2) Braking – Being such a grippy tires it was inherent they will perform better on braking and they did. The stopping distance has extremely reduced and on several occasions with the same amount of pedal input the car braked more aggressively than before.

3) Comfort – They are comfortable tires. I guess they have softer sidewalls than GT3 and eat up bad roads easily. In fact now I don’t hear thuds, squeaks etc . which I always blamed on suspensions. However the body roll has increased with that carpet effect but worth the comfort.

4) Noise – They are not completely silent but not anywhere as noisy as GT3. I could hear a strange but feeble noise in the range of 40-55 kmph something which others describe as bearing noise but I am addicted to it now! The tyres don’t make much noise even in the range of 120-140. Changing from tarmac to concrete makes them growl but completely bearable (or sweet).

All in all I am quite satisfied with my purchase. I believe they much lived to their performance tyres tag. I hope they last more than GT3 and give similar performance throughout.

IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. Do let me know what your negative feedback on the ZLO is. THanks.
  8. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Micheline Primacy LC production already stopped, and new set as Primacy 3 ST already launched. Now 195/65 R15 available. 195/60 R15 will be launched very soon. This Tyre has both Characterictics of PLC & HP.

Last week went with TFI member Prasanna to find PLC, Found only 2 in a shop, after barganing we are able to get this 2 @5800. Primacy 3ST will be near around 6250 per tyre.

If PLC needed, search in each shop, If you are lucky will get.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The Michelin Primacy 3 ST has already hit the Bangalore tyre shops, saw them in Madhus today when I went there for Wheel alignment and balancing.
  10. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys please post your views on Apollo acelere. Are they noisy??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.