1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Seems like someone is a converted fan. ;) Now you know why I was advocating it.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As you might be knowing i'm using Yoko AVS DB and MY-02 on my ride.
    After switching the tires i.e MY-02 to rear and Yoko AVS DB to front the ride is not so comfort and steering feels lot heavy.The day one only one immidiately notice the difference.Prior to this MY-02 on front and Yoko AVS DB the ride was superd,though got used to with soft side walls,initialy cornering was scary,after knowing the properties of tire cornerings are on softer side ;) with good speeds(i have ABS :D )
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Bangalore
    After quite a bit of deliberation, I finally decided to replace my aging stock GT3s with Yokohama AVS DB v550 195/60R15.

Other tyres considered were Michelin Primacy LC (too expensive), Michelin Primacy 3 ST (to be released in a month, expected to be too expensive), Yoko C. Drive AC01 (close, but AVS DB is probably the better tyre in every aspect except cost).

Bought the tyres at Millivisions off JC Road. Superlative buying experience - strongly recommend Millivisions. thumbs%20up.gif

Paid 5100 for each tyre - this was the best rate that I could get - had checked with Sai Iyengar, Madhus/Tyre Profs as well. My thread-bare GT3s fetched me Rs. 100 each - which may be on the lower side, but am willing to grin and bear it. Was charged 75Rs / tyre for balancing and 300 Rs for alignment. Net damages - Rs 20500 for four tyres.

Tyres are still very new to post an opinion on them. I am still driving around gingerly since I am not really sure of how much grip the new tyres will offer vs. my old GT3s which were very good on grip. I will follow up with a review on the V550s once they settle down.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Very well said, Sat. When I press both Yoko and Mich tires sidewalls with my nail, Mich compound is noticeably softer and its shining kind , whereas Yoko side wall near road contact area looks tough (I have 2 damages in my Mich also, using as the stepney).
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    GT3s are gone. I'm now on Bridgestone MY02. Ride is noticeably smoother and quieter...
    2 people like this.
  6. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    After 81450 kms, my Linea was ready for its 3rd set of tyres. The first 2 sets were stock Apollo Acelere (195/60R15). The first set of tyres lasted almost 50000 km while the second set of Apollos lasted for just 31000 km.

This time I wanted to try something different and my mind was fixed on Yokohama A Drives. Also I wanted to up size and the realistic option was 195/65R15 which many forum members have on their cars. But I was dissuaded by Nikhil (from Madhus). One option which many people recommended there was to go for 205/60R15. I was a bit skeptical at first, but when the tyres were installed, the car looked rather good with that ugly gap between the wheel arches and tyres in the rear reduced.

So here it goes,

Tyre: Yokohama A Drives
    Size: 205/60R15
    Cost: Rs 5800 per tyre

So here are the pictures of the car after installation.

Yokos A Drives 205/60R15
    IMG_3022.jpg

The older Apollos 195/60R15. Notice the ugly gap between the tyres and rear wheel arch
    Picture%20009.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

Have driven about 450kms after installation and so far so good. The ground clearance has increased just a tiny bit while not making the car look like its on stilts à la new Linea MJD. The road noise seems to be lesser than Apollos, however my final verdict on these tyres has to wait till I do a proper road trip will a full complement of passengers and luggage.
    1 person likes this.
  7. chandu

chandu

Navi Mumbai
    As you might remember I had gone with MY-02, 185/70 R14 for my GP active. completed 150 Kms. My feedback on the tyres:
    The tyres are really quite on the road, grip wise i am happy with it. Being rainy season i am not trying anything odd.
    I had filled Nitrogen, and set psi-30 the ride is really bumpy, the suspension is taking all the brunt of the road with potholes. Somehow i am feeling the road and feels like there are no suspensions in my car. On normal speed when the tyre hits the potholes it makes a huge 'THUD' noise and the whole car vibrates.
    Is there anything i need to do, to make my ride smoother and feel good while driving my Italian beauty?
    Please help guys.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    chandu, what is model year of your car?

Also, check the air pressure again and make sure that it is not over inflated.
  9. chandu

chandu

Navi Mumbai
    The model is Feb 2010, I would not like to blame the car suspensions cos i was very happy with it when i was driving on the JK tyres (2 weeks back). however i am feeling this from the time i have moved to MY-02
    What will be the right pressure for GP as the mentioned psi on the car is 32/31. Another thing i wanted to ask was, will there is any difference if i deflate the nitrogen and go with normal air?
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Let me clarify you on this,for me the thud sound was there while using GT3,Yoko AVS DB and also with My-02.
    Now please dont say that i have not tried JK :D or having suspension problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.