1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Got up in the morning and was really excited about the day as i had planned a weekend drive outside town with the new tyres and alloy in my Punto. The drive comprising mostly good roads, some stretch of unpaved roads plus those huge potholes which appear suddenly out of nowhere on the highway (a monsoon gift) when you are cruising at triple digit speeds and you really have to work the steering to avoid going into them and the car and the tyres were well up to the task. Clocked some 160 odd kms and the experience brought a huge smile on my face and felt the money i put into it was surely worth every penny.

1. Like i had mentioned earlier the steering felt lighter at city speeds so i was a bit worried that the high speed feedback may have been compromised a bit. But to my great relief and pleasure the steering feedback has surely increased and it felt much better at high speeds too. I could feel it as i had driven the stock JKs for more then 12000 kms.

2. Ride quality too has improved a bit credit goes to the wider tyres and upsized wheels i guess. I would say the ride has become a bit firmer not stiffer which is to my liking.

3. Handling is where there has been a great improvement. Tight cornering at high speeds feels much much more relaxed now and there is no screeching of the tyres as earlier. The JKs use to give away a bit too soon which was one of my main grouse against it other then its poor braking performance and looks.

4. Braking has also seen a huge improvement. No more skidding while braking hard. The tyre just doesn’t give up.

5. But the road noise has surely increased a few decibels then earlier in high speeds. Nothing to bang your head around as many had written in this forum and other forums too. Its not that bad at all believe me and nothing that the stereo wouldn’t drown.

6. And ofcourse the looks, i have already got quite a few compliments from friends and family and also the guy and his friend who came in a Ritz to the same shop to check tyres where i was getting my new wheels installed. I feel the black alloy with the shiny protruding outer edges goes well with the Oceanic blue color of the Punto. And the ES100 tyres gives a muscular and manly stance to the car, specially when the front tyres are facing outside.

All in all i am very very satisfied and happy with the upgrade.. So CHEERS and Happy Driving guys.... :):) :car
  2. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Today i got new tyres for my Linea MJD which has done 29500km, i got 195 60 R15 MICHELIN Primacy.
  3. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Guys, need to replace the Goodyears in my Linea. My choice is the Michelin PLC 195/60-R15 --> the stock size. Any idea what is the cost these PLCs in Chennai ? LAL Quoted 5850 per tyre when buying 4 tyres and 400 for Wheel Alignment.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Why don't you check with other small time tyre dealers?

I recently changed mine with Lal's and later had issues with the tyre and the way they handled my case was not encouraging to pay a visit again.

I recommend 'Ramesh Tyres' at Velachery.

Disclaimer:- I am not associated with 'Ramesh Tyres' in any way. :D
  5. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Lol, Okay, i did ask a Berton Tyres in Mogappair for a Quote last. He recommended Bridgestone over Michelin. He also didnt have the Michelins in stock with him. But he said he will be able to give a Nice discount. 5650 per tyre.

I wanted to try LAL only for the fact that they are established well and they will be able to handle warranty issues easily. Okay may be i will give Berton tyres a try.

Velachery is too far for me.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I went with Lal for the very reason that you have just quoted. Well Established. But the way they treat customers is not encouraging me to recommend others. :)

Also, don't go by the recommendation from the tyre dealers. Decide yourself what you need and just stick with it. If you have decided on PLC, just go it. It is very good tyre.
  7. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I understood that the properitor of Berton tyres - Mr.Anand is a friend of Tenzing and he had worked previously with Bridgestone i guess. So he recommended bridgestone over Micheling solely for the fact that he will be able to easily get warranty replacements for Bridgestone. But still he was ready to get Michelins if i was interested. Just wanted to check in forum before i take the plunge...
  8. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    I just got those from Lal at the same price. Amazing Tyres those.
  9. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I got the same rubber from Ramesh tyres. Same price but no alignment charges or balancing charges. Lal I've found them too arrogant. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  10. g.nagendra

g.nagendra Timido

Bangalore
    @Deba: Wicked ride mate... Those alloys are neat. How much did they cost? And do drive safe...

@Venka: Sorry, have been busy with work and couldn't login much. Hope this gives you a sense of the side profile. Unfortunately, I am out of the country for a few more weeks and can't take any more pics for sometime.

IMAG0297.jpg IMAG0302.jpg IMAG0303.jpg
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.