1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Andy, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends i just got a set of four 15 inch Luxotik alloy wheels for my car (Punto Dynamic MJD 2012), i have not decided yet but might go for Bridgestone Potenza GIII tyres. Well i just wanted to know if i can put 205/60R15 tyres on my car? The error for this spec tyre is 1.2% as compared to the stock 165/80R14 tyres, which is okay i guess. The advantages i feel are i get a wider tyre, tall sidewall plus about 3-4mm gain in GC. I would really appreciate your views on this matter. Thanks, advice and views urgently needed :confused::confused::confused:.

IMG_20130605_201528.jpg

IMG_20130605_205605.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Bangalore
    Reposting on this thread since I did not get too many replys on the punto 2013 one (thanks Arnab for your recco of C Drives). Apologies for the repost. Specifically hope that users of tyres below can post their experiences to aid my decision.

Here is my tyre problem. My stock GT3s have run 40k and are beginning to show their age.. am considering the following tyres - please help me with advice and opinion:

Ride: Punto Emotion Pack 90hp 2010 - pre-2012 shocks with lower GC
    KMs done: 40k
    Current Tyres: 195/60R15 Goodyear GT3 OEM - may be able to stretch them for another 3-4k with some sedate driving
    Style of driving: Sporty when alone, sedate when with family :razz:
    Priorities (in order): Grip, Stability under braking and cornering, comfort

Options for new set in order of current consideration:

Firstly the profile - the options I have are:
    1. 195/60R15 - awesome handling - I have no complaints with my current handling
    2. 205/60R15 - better comfort with a possible downside on handling/dynamism. Possible warranty issues to consider. FE impact?
    3. 205/55R15 - better comfort. possible warranty issues. impact on handling unclear. FE impact?
    On the profile, I am currently biased towards retaining 195/60R15 - would like to hear opinion and options on other profiles to consider. I am not too keen to change the alloys since I like the design (and I like saving some money too :mrgreen:) - hence not looking at anything other than R15

Now for the tyres themselves, my current considerations are:
    1. Yokohama AVS DB - Pros: Good balance of comfort, super silent and good feedback+control (based on a ride in a friends linea). Cons: Soft tyre may have early degradation
    2. Yokohama S Drive - Pros: Good grip and great feedback/control. Cons: lesser comfort than above?
    3. Yokohama C Drive - Pros: Good balance between the AVS DB and the S Drive. Cons: ??
    4. Michelin / Bridgestone not being considered due to them being too soft. Opinions welcome

Currently, I am undecided between the 3 Yoko tyres and am not sure if there are any other tyres I need to consider. would appreciate if some of the esteemed forumers can help me out of this quandary. Thanks in advance :smile:
  3. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Kamikaze - I upgraded my stock JK's to Yokos C drive + Alloy upgrade as far i am happy with the performance with good grip and handling on the road.
  4. I got Kenda Komet Plus KR23 last week, will post an update on it soon. Cost 3000 Rs per tyre [195/60/R15]
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I am running on 205/55 R15 Yoko S Drives. Been using them for the past 12k kms. No issues faced so far.

Grip: Better than my earlier set of tyres (195/60 R14 Yoko 100 ES).
    Handling: Has improved, in my perception (again in comparision to my earlier set).
    Cornering: Confidence inspiring.
    Comfort: I haven't used other brand tyres, so cannot comment. But, I am more than happy with these set.
    FE: I cannot comment cause a lot of conditions have changed in the route I take daily. Wider tyres obviously will reduce the FE, but marginally.
    Puncture: Only 1 after 10k kms. (Screw stuck in the tyre)
    Tyre Life: Min. 30k to Max.40k is what dealer has asked me to expect.
    Next Set: Definitely will be S-drives again, unless I face a major problem till the end of their life.
  6. aks_karthik

aks_karthik Novizio

Chennai
    You can try MRF ZLO 195/60/15 for Rs. 4500/tyre too. I have bought it before a month for my Linea MJD and completed almost 7500 kms in all kind of roads.
    Simply it's awesome tyre and Grip, Handling & Riding are at par with Michelin and I am really amazed as it comes from an Indian Manufacturer.
    VFM Tag very much suits this model.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I just followed aks_karthik and got the ZLO for my Linea too from the Lal's. Initial impression was not as expected but now it seems to be good. I will be hitting the highway again this weekend and would be able to comment on this better when I return.

But still at Rs. 4500 this is VFM for sure.
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Guys I have question,

what if we use 195/65/15 tyres instead of 195/60/15?
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Fiat recommends 195/60 R15. And I know few of them using 195/65 R15 without any issues. You can go for this too and this will upgrade your car's GC by another 10 mm.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Update on A-drives after the highway run to Yercaud and back.

Feels very much confident in braking and cornering, especially at the excellent Ghat roads to Yercaud.
    Very less tyre noise compared with B250. Only wind noise in 3rd gear while on the descent on the silent hills.

So far driven 1500 Kms and feel A-drives are a wonderful selection for a sedate driver like me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.