1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - All Models

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by moksh, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    How is road condition? (potholes, 2\4 lane tarmac?)

Do you take turns at high speed?
  2. Alok Sabade

Alok Sabade Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you for your interest, and sorry for not mentioning any of the background factors. The road (tar) is in good condition for most part. There are some potholes, but like 2-3 mins of my daily 40 min drive. I take turns at ~60kph. While the road is really a breeze most of the times, it passes through tiny villages. So a appearance of, let's say a cow, out of the woods isn't a rarity. And I do not wish to kill her:p.

Also, from what I read, people generally mention their preferences, so I'd like to put em down too:
    1) Sound: 0 concern. (In fact it would be cool if it makes a sound like a plane taking off.. jk)
    2) Price: 0 concern.
    3) Braking: TOP priority.
    4) Wet grip: Next to braking.
    5) Ride quality: Next to wet grip.
    6) FE/Pickup: 0 concern.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    For your driving style(turns at 60 kmph) & road conditions & situations you are likely to encounter, you should go for asymmetrical tyres, they are good for hard cornering

If wet braking is important you should look for directional tyres.

'Directional aka unidirectional + asymmetrical 'are good for both hard cornering & wet braking & wet handling. But this combination doesn't leave any options for rotation of tyres.

If the road is narrow, you might be needing to step aside (right tyres on tarmac & left on the earthen side strips) the car to give way for big vehicles, in this case upsize might prove disaster for the sidewalls. Also rural folks have habit of digging road every now & then for pipelines & electric wires.

Upsize only if you are ready to baby the car on potholes and surprise trenches dug by the rural folks & while stepping down on the side strips.

Also upsize is associated with hardening the steering feel at parking speeds.

And yes, to reduce the chances of sidewall cut, you have to go for 17 inch rims as suggested by the OP.
  4. Alok Sabade

Alok Sabade Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    You're right, I completely forgot about the surprise trenches. They're not uncommon at all. So in essence, you would say stick to stick size and get different radial or upsize with smaller rim. Is that correct?
    Tornado likes this.
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    There is one: Rotate the front and rear tyres on the same side.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    But then, the tread wear of tyre would occur in same direction i. e. Toe to heel.

When you rotate in opposite direction (which is not possible in case of unidirectional + asymmetrical combo) , erstwhile heel now becomes toe, and erstwhile toe now becomes heel. So there is uniform wear of both thus grippyness of the tyres can be exploited for longer distance.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 7, 2016 ---
    No, never a small rim, if at all upsize then it has to be 17 inches rim i. e. with wider rim.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This thread deserves the speed variation details too with reference to GPS speed after tire upgrade.

I don't remember if i have done any speed monitoring with stock profile (195/60/R15).
    i have observed the GPS speed was exactly matching with car ODO speed , when i upgraded to tire profile 195/65/R15 and 205/65/R15.

if anyone have observed for 195/60/R15 , please post the details.
  8. KPR

KPR Regolare

TN
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    My friend has a Punto 75 MJD active model. He need to carry out tyre change. His drives include 80% Highways and 20 % of single laned and occasional pot holed roads. He has finalised on 185/70 R14 size. Now the problem comes in brand selection. The short lists include Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth1. Which one preferred for his style of driving? Can someone explain on variants of Yokohama tyres like A drive, C drive, Earth1 etc?
  9. vinodvisha

vinodvisha Novizio

Bangalore
    I changed my car tyres to Yoko Earth1 and have driven around 12000kms on them till now. I can vouch for these tyres since I feel they are really good in terms of braking and the grip on wet roads. No significance tyre noise too inside the cabin.
  10. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    If budget is not a concern (difference of 500 to 700 per tyre in between Earth1 & XM2), XM2 is good choice as he occasionally comes across potholes. If he can take care to drive slowly on the potholes. And of late they have strengthened the sidewall too.

About Earth1, Yokohama are non transparent, they have not bothered to mention the Treadwear, Traction, Temperature ratings calculated by internal testing.

I prefer to believe in transparent brands .

Because tyres keep their characteristics changing even if there is change in size, speed, Temperature specifications.
    Also online user reviews suffer bias due to personal driving style(speeds during cornering, care on potholes, etc , and vehicle's own handling characteristics (Steering, suspension, torque, power weight) and also the road characteristics.
    KPR likes this.