1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Upgrade - All Models

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by moksh, Jan 10, 2016.

1. tweeting_fiat

tweeting_fiat Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Rubber naturally tends to degrade with time and some cracks will appear with time eventually. IIRC as a rule of thumb one should stay clear of buying new tyres stored for more than a year (of course technically the shelf life is more). Personally for the money spend on a new tyre I'd have the fresh piece.

Here is a link: http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires-expire-in-six-years/
  2. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The article you have linked says "six years" as the life of the tyre. Wouldn't that mean I can get a 4 year old tyre, if I plan on driving 50000 kms in the next 2 years? I wanted to know why the recommendation of "six months" and not "three months" or "nine months"? FIAT cars being slow movers, usually the tyres that the car comes shod with from the factory will be more than six months old.

Rubber does degrade with age, but tyres stored in the warehouse degrade slower than tyres fitted on a car. Please check out car bibles - tyre and wheel section for a detailed explanation of tyre age and its effects.
  4. tweeting_fiat

tweeting_fiat Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Theoretically yes, but I wonder why you would like to do that?.

I remember reading somewhere, I cannot recall where exactly may be some other members can shed light on that. Think of it as a guideline. The point is to buy fresh aftermarket tyres as far as possible, not exactly what the recommendation is. Yes its not just Fiat, I'd be wary any car standing for more than a year and not just tyres but other rubber parts too.

Not aware of this, depends on how the retailer stores them. May be you can quote the specific excerpt from car bibles .
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I would definitely do that, if I am getting unused tyres of good brand for a huge discount.

The car bibles is an exhaustive resource for everything about cars. I urge you to visit and read up, rather than quoting some bits here.
  6. tweeting_fiat

tweeting_fiat Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Well, good luck with that :)
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thank you. I haven't had the need to do that yet, but will definitely do if the discount is good enough. That said, I know of several people who never touch their spare tyres for the entire duration of the car ownership, no matter what the age of the rubber. I for one change tyres based on age rather than based on tread wear. I change every two years. Ran the OE Apollo Acceleres for 25000 kms and switched to S drive for the next 25000 kms. Now on Pirelli Cinturato P7 for the past 10000 kms. I also change the spare when I change, even if it is untouched.

I am in total agreement about rubber aging even when it is unused. My question was only about "three months". I would rather put it as "As new as possible, but not older than two years". IMHO, there is no justification for "three months". "Two years", because the average user tends to have a set of tyres for four years.
  8. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Iirc, Michelin has the shelf life above 5 years, forget where I read.;)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 20, 2016 ---
    Replacing a good tyre in just 2 years is an simply overkill
  9. Shrayus

Shrayus Timido

Punjagutta
    Punto Abarth
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    Hi, u didn't write these size tires, i signed into teamfiat for these two sizes, I was thinking if they would fit
    Sales executive quoted RS.2800 foreach tire after replacing stock Apollo's, Michelin 205/50 R16
    The tires I want to upgrade to
    205/55 R16= 1.77%
    215/50 R16=0.8%
    Thanks moksh.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  10. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Shrayus At that time I could find any brand with 215/50 R16=0.8% size. And with the 205/55R16=1.77% I found there is no point to uprade to this profile its just 2.5mm/0.25cm which is no visible difference.