1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Rotation, Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Swaminathan Gopalan

Swaminathan Gopalan Timido

Coimbatore
    Hi All,

Guys from Coimbatore,can i get any suggesstion on best place for carrying out 'Wheel Alignment & Balancing'? Till now i am sticking onto CAI Fiat only just out of fear giving outside. The cost they are charging seems to be comparatively higher. For wheel alignment & balancing, it comes around 800 INR plus sticker weight based on the balance. Is this charge nominal? How much would it cost if we do outside.
  2. Jithu

Jithu Timido

Wayanad
    Wayanad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi All,

Couple of days ago I checked my wheel alignment for my Punto 90hp , i have seen some uneven tyre wear, on Front Left, front Right and Rear Left. I'm Attaching my latest alignment report and images of tyre wear for reference . Those who are having good knowledge in Wheel Alignment, Please have a look on it. Also I feel car is pulling to left side. My car has done 9650 KM with stock tyre, Apollo Acelere. How to correct this uneven tyre wear.

Alignment report.jpg

Front left.jpg

Front Right.jpg

Rear Left.jpg

Rear Right.jpg
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    What are the correct values of Toe/Camber/Caster for Grande Punto Oct 2011 model.
    Whenever I go for alignment, folks say its difficult to get correct values on punto.
    Balancing will be good for 2000-3000kms and again the issue starts.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @whitepunto76 - Neither balancing nor alignment will go off that quickly if done properly and if your machine is in good condition. Balancing can go off relatively quickly if the tyres have uneven wear out or if the rims have gone out of shape. You have to get the car inspected thoroughly if your alignment and balance are going off that quickly. For good balancing try Vijay alignment on ring road in JP Nagar 3rd phase (I am not sure about their alignment because the equipment looked stone age, I will not trust that kind of machine). Their balancing equipment looks dated but the man working on balancing machine seems to have good chemistry with that machine leading to superb results. In fact he had done such a good job that my tyres did not go out of balance for almost 10000 kms. I did not observe any wobbling/vibration on highways for up to 120kmph speed, so did not touch balancing until I changed the tyres (simply because there was no need to touch it; why mess with it if things are going good).
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Few questions form my side:
    1) Yours is 90HP Punto whereas alignment report shows readings for 75HP punto? Did the alignment centre have the readings for the 90HP?
    2) The front left and right toe readings are totally out of the limit values. Was the toe readings adjusted?
    3) I can see many Camber and caster readings for the front and rear totally out of limits. You will need to visit the FASS where they will have to lower the suspensions to adjust these readings.

I assume your Punto is post 2012 model with increased GC, so the readings will be different from pre 2012 model readings. Get the correct alignment readings from FASS.
  6. Jithu

Jithu Timido

Wayanad
    Wayanad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

1, In the Aliginment machine i could find only this version for 1.3L and the other was 1.4L.

2, The toe reading was just adjusted and finaly set back to 0 deg 01' for left side and 0 deg 00' for right side. And the total toe is 0 deg 01'.

Since 1st service onwards am reporting to the FASS team that car has uneven tyre wear. My last wheel alignment was also done at FASS. it was on 7245. After that i did about 2400 KM. I'm Just attaching my last alignment report from FASS.
    7245.jpg
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The last alignment reading at FASS seems to be correct. Notice the difference in the limit values in the two alignment reports which means you will have to stick to FASS for the regular wheel alignment. You are lucky that the front camber/caster readings and the rear camber readings are well within the limits.

What I would suggest is write to Fiat India if the FASS is not responding to your pointers of uneven tyre wear.
  8. Jithu

Jithu Timido

Wayanad
    Wayanad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi All,

My Car's uneven tyre wear was reported to Fiat Customer Cell and to my nearest FASS, KVR Fiat Calicut. FASS team had called me and asked to bring the vehicle at service centre for proper check up. On last Saturday i visited KVR FIAT for checkup, and they did the wheel alignment. and they didn't find anything wrong. The Left pull has gone after wheel alignment. The Fiat Customer cell forwarded this issue to Apollo tyres and asked them to inspect the tyres as well. So Apollo tyre team is going to inspect the tyre on this coming Friday at KVR Fiat.

This is my latest Wheel Alignment Report.

WA.jpg
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @Jithu:
    How come the camber/toe readings are different on above reports.
    I assume once Camber/Caster are fixed, no need to change everytime during alignment process.
    Seems like we have to stick to FASS for alignment as well.
  10. Gaurang Singh

Gaurang Singh Timido

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.4
    Hi All,

Need suggestion about good Wheel Balancing & Alignment (for Avventura) service available in Rajajinagar/Malleshwaram in Bangalore.

TIA!

-G