1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Rotation, Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    I did alignment, balancing and tyre rotation yesterday at Tyre Empire HSR, my odo is 10k. The last one I did it was at 5K KMs, and I ensured that the tyre rotation is done front to back.

However, this time they used Road Force and though I asked them to mark the tyres to ensure front to back rotation they said Road Force will find the tyre position based on the measurement it does and they fixed the tyre based on its recommendation, it was not a front to back or cross rotation, though I had my doubts on it I couldn't insist on front to back as the old tyre position markings which they wrote on tyre were gone by the time they did balancing.

Coming back I went through couple of videos on Road Force and all it says is apart from horizontal vibrations it measures vertical irregularities based on the measurements from a roller, while I can understand that vertical fluctations can be measured and the tyre can be rotated to offset it, I couldn't see how Road Force can recommend a tyre position (Front Left, RL, FR or RR), any inputs?
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Last week I did tyre rotation. I swapped the front and back tyres on the same side. But after that I feel some "bouncing" effect in front tyres between 30 - 50 kmph. After that the effect is less pronounced. Is this due to improper wheel alignment? Till now I cant find any alignment center nearby. Is there any procedure to do the alignment ourselves even though if its not perfect?

Sent from my Micromax A50 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    Sathish, did you get your wheel balanced along with rotation & alignment?
  4. Madhu's is using these spec for alignment of post 2012 Punto.I am little skeptical as after 1800 kms drive my car still did not had toe change!!
    IMG_20131109_112216.jpg
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I did only balancing in oct. Rotation I did it myself and no alignment.

Sent from my Micromax A50 using Tapatalk 2
  6. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    bouncing & vibration at specific speeds most likely indicate a balancing issue or bent rim.
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But when i did balancing last month, he did not mention about any bends. Moreover, mine is alloy wheels so bend issue should be rare phenomenon. I am again asking the same question. Is balancing specific to individual wheel or is it specific to the location of the wheel?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Balancing is wheel specific. A balanced wheel can be mounted in any position in the car. Let me put it this way - Balancing is to true the alloy/rim and the tyre that is mounted on the same. Alignment is to ensure that the axis of rotation and the angles are within specified limits with respect to the car, specifically the shocks. Balancing is done one wheel at a time, off the car, whereas alignment is done with all wheels on the car.

Balancing is not required to be done every 5000 kms, unless you have had a puncture or you have a flat spot on the tyre due to panic braking or you have removed the tyre from the alloy/rim. Given our road conditions, it is a good practice to get balancing done every 15K kms.

Alignment however has to done even if you just take off a wheel and put it back. It is even more essential when you do a wheel rotation. Alignment can be done precisely with the use of just a string and some basic tools, but is back breaking work. It is easier to get it done at professional establishments. The schedule I follow is:

1. Tyre pressure check - every week and before start of every long drive
    2. Alignment and rotation - every 5000 kms
    3. Balancing - every 15000 kms

If you are keen on trying your hand at DIY alignment search google for "wheel alignment string" and you will find number of useful resources.

Rajan

EDIT : Just realized that I started this thread in Feb and am now answering most of my own questions, thanks to TFI and Google :D
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    6 people like this.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks rajan. Its not actually bouncing, its rather like the sound when someone is travelling on a rough road. It feels as if something, like a big stone has got into the grooves of the tyre. I am still searching for an alignment centre nearby.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In the interim, you can try this. Take off the wheel in question, rotate by 180 degrees and fit it back.

Rajan