1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Rotation, Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. I always prefer 4 wheek rotation, and follow the rotation, , alignment, balancing every 5k kms..I dont prefer to use the stepney,have to use it only in case it is required..
    Because after 40-45k kms I will shell the 4 tyres and go for new tyres, and keep the same Stepney. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    In my ownership of the TJet, I have found the front to back swap work effectively. I am not sure of cross swapping though and aligners do not recommend rotation of the 5th tyre even if it is of the same size
  3. cross rotation is not at all recommended..
  4. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Same Here. Done the alignment last week as per the manual. The MRF guys advised me to go for cross rotation but I opposed and insisted them to swap the front and rear wheels on the same side. But after the alignment the car started pulling towards right which was later rectified by adopting cross rotation. Now the car behaves perfect. :)
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I might have done a mistake with rotation. Or do I?

I have 5 alloys, and have got a 5 tyre rotation done, at 15,000 kms.
    The unused, till now, 5th tyre is now at the rear left.
    Our driver doubts if the car is pulling towards right, slightly.
  6. ASNM

ASNM Amatore

Navi Mumbai
    Hi Friends,

Do we have this Road Force machine with any of the Navi-Mumbai tyre shops.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    yesterday, during the kolkata trip i did wheel balancing. The total charge with break up is as follows:

Checking charge per wheel INR 50/-
    weights charge INR 2/- per gm as it was for alloy

So after checking added 115 gms of balance for all four wheels and the total charge was INR 430/-. I did the balancing in F.K Tyres, VIP Road junction, kolkata. Its a small tyre shop and as per them they are going for the wheel alignment facilicty too.

Now, i have a query. Can we do wheel rotation after balancing?. As the guy in the tyre shop pointed out that my front wheels are almost "bald" and i too felt the same. If yes then i will do the rotation myself and later check the alignment.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    adding to confusion .
    1.) if 5K is the recommended time for rotation then why do the service folks do it once every service ? that's 3 times over the specified limit.
    2.) Balancing - AFAIK balancing is the one that takes care of presence / absence of bumpiness or steering wheel wobble at high speeds.
    Supposing i take my car on a high speed run just before the scheduled rotation/balancing and i dont find any issues with wobble, should i still go in for balancing ?
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes, you can. Wheel balancing is wheel-specific.

For all my past and present vehicles, I get the wheel alignment and balancing done once in 10 k km. If the car goes straight and does not drag to either side if the hands are removed from the steering for a few seconds, then the wheel alignment is fine. If the tyre does not show any uneven wear of the tread, then the inference is wheel balancing is also fine.

Wheel balancing is done essentially to prevent uneven tread wear. Wobbling could be due to many reasons including bald tyres, bent alloys, bulging of tyre, etc.
    1 person likes this.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

As the tyres wear out, they lose some gms of weight aand hence would require balancing. Steering vibes can be an indicator of imbalanced wheel only after some tolerance. So irrespective of wobble or not, better to balance them once in 5k kms.
    1 person likes this.