1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Rotation, Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PatchyBoy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As mine is dynamic, I done the spare wheel rotation. I think it won't be a problem if the wheel size is same and the rim is steel but not alloy. I done through the Tyre Point (Michelin dealer) from HSR. Will check them the impact of doing this. But I seen a Emotion variant with all 3 alloys and one steel rim that is came for wheel alignment.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Rubber deteriorates and hardens with age. The seal between the tyre edge and the rim/alloy depends on the suppleness of the tyre. Removing the tyre from the rim/alloy every 5000 kms and refitting may result in an improper seal and result in a constant slow leak, thereby leading to premature tyre wear.

Rajan
    GP_Freak likes this.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I got your point Rajan.
    The way I understand was the different on the certain condition of the tyre condition. I agree with you for not replacing the tyres all the time during rotation.
    This will cause a huge damage to tyres.

But we have to use spare tyre during a rotation as keeping tyre idle also damage the spare tyre.

One more thing I would like to point it out here.

Though the running is lesser each tyre has a life span around 3 years. So we have to change all tyres after 3 years & so to avoid tyre burst on highway drives.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi Rajan,

I'll try and give my side of the coin.

FIAT simply tells us to swap the front and rears keeping them on the same side. However , as I found out, it didn't apply to my case. The case of pulling left was simply solved by crossing over the rear tyres to the front - as is the norm with so many cars. Having said that, almost all follow same side tyre swaps and still the car behaves normal. So, take it on a case to case basis. I trust the opinion of the expert tyre alignment guy more than any owner manual of any manufacturer.

I've never involved the spare tyre in the rotation schedule so don't really know how to go at it. The Palio had a mismatched spare tyre so i never used it - still brand new since 2005 :). The Linea has a proper sized spare, but will be used for emergencies only. Involving one brand new tyre with three old tyres in the rotation schedule is something which bounces over the top of my head.

5000km intervals as far as possible. If you can take time out for it.

I got it done at 10K interval and still the difference in tyre wear of the fronts compared to the rear was quite a bit. My brother-in-law's Skoda Rapid has already worn out it's front tires twice as badly as the rears in a spate of 10k km's. The Palio has always followed a 5k km tyre rotation + alignment and the tyres have worn evenly.

Balancing is a sort of fail-safe thingy. Because all four tyres do get balanced once and later you can rotate them anywhere you want whenever you want. But, just for peace of mind / sorting any incorrect balancing i just get the rears balanced when they are going to the front. If the fronts are already in balance and not showing tell tale signs of being out of balance , they simply go to the rear without doing anything.

Cheers.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In most of the reputed Tyre clinics, safe practices or well known practices to be followed for tyres will be displayed. Last time when I visited Tyre Professional shop near Basavanagudi, read a very detailed poster on the same. It was issued by Bridgestone explaning in detail various tyre rotation options, alignment, balancing, tyre care etc. But in the end every one gives a recommendation / disclaimer to follow 'manufacturer's' manual. So for tyre rotation am adopting Fiat's manual where as interval am following is every 5,000 kms. Balancing and Alignment I get it done religiously once in 5k kms and for rotation, I closely follow wear & tear of front and rear tyre and get it done accordingly. I would prefer rotation also at every 5k kms but at times will get it done after @7k kms or so. Spare tyre will be used as spare tyre always - only in emergencies.

At the end of the day, cannot be sure whether the above practice gives the best tyre life or not but what it has provided me is peace of mind and no steering wobble at high speeds, nor any pulling to one particular side issues till date.

My take - one should follow manufacturer's guidlines with minor alterations to suit one's usage pattern and tyre condition.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Saket Sidana likes this.
  6. anoop

anoop Superiore

+1 to what Gurjinder have written - at the end of the day, i trust the expert tyre alignment guy more than my owner’s manual.

I usually get my alignment and balancing done at Madhu's (near the hockey stadium) - they are very prompt and courteous in service, have always up to date \ latest machinery and experienced people.

This time, I tried their new Road Force machine which simulates the real life road force scenarios and suggests which tyre to go where for the least pull. I had never included my spare tyre in rotation till now, but the road force machine indicated that one of my front tyre have very high level of stress (possible manufacturing defect according to the guy at Madhu’s), I put the tyre as spare and used my spare instead.
    The machine gives out a lot of information (shear stress, thread depth to millimeter perfection, areas where uneven wear is detected and lot more). The charge is INR 100 per tyre for the road force machine, which includes remounting if needed.
    Even though I had to balance 5 tyres and remount one tyre and refill the nitrogen in one and top up all the other four, they did charge only for four tyres and 50 INR for whole nitrogen top up.

I can definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a good, professional place to get your wheel woes fixed – do call them up and fix an appointment if you are going on a Saturday.
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Please provide full details and location info if they do not have their own websites and all.
  8. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I do wheel alignment every 5000 Kms, Wheel balancing every 10000 kms.....
    Rotation i am myself confused how to do...
    Actually without my knowing the front tyre position was first changed by service centre guys when they replaced front right shocker...and again by the wheel alignment guys......
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

Website - Madhus.com

Address: Address:
    Madhus Enterprises,
    No.35/5, Langford Road,
    (Near Double Road Circle)
    Bangalore-560025,
  10. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    My two cents (no way expert comments though :))

5 wheel rotation is better if the spare comes in same spec as other 4 (in case of alloys it has to be an alloy). This prolongs the overall tyre life too as all tyres are getting used almost equally and would also avoid the temptation of using spare tyre for more than recommended life just because it looks unused :)

The only reason for providing non full size/non-alloy as spare should be cost cutting :( In such cases only option is to stick with 4 wheel rotation, else unmounting the tyre may be more troublesome as you mentioned in your other post.