1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre pressure

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Chaos, Jun 1, 2010.

  1. sungoa2010

    sungoa2010

    Messages:
    2,878
    Goa
    Always stick to prescribed pressure by manufacturer. Over pressure will kill the suspension and also the center portion of tyre.
  2. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    Messages:
    2,188
    Bangalore
    But over inflation and under inflation is subjective to tyre right??
    I mean aftermarket tyres will definitely need different scales..
    I dont think its the same
  3. Surya

    Surya Superiore

    Messages:
    930
    Namma Bengaluru
    Nitrogen air at 34 psi on all tyres (JK tornado's) once in a month. is that ok..? i see a decrease in 1 or 2 psi usually when i do the refilling or toppings at bunks. Does it really make sense for nitrogen as its costs 20 /- for toppings and 5/- for normal air
  4. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    Messages:
    2,188
    Bangalore
    This is an old debate with no substantial points being made on either side

    As for nitrogen.. Its just a feel good factor and a sense of technicality show off..
    There is really no benefit ,apart from the fact that you are going to pay more on every refill that's all..
    I've personally used nitrogen for 6 months , and have asked a few folks how have been doing it till date and what i can gather is that there isn't anything in it for everyday use.

    Race cars are different but for regulars there is nothing beneficial
  5. J Ravi

    J Ravi Esperto

    Messages:
    2,293
    Bangalore
    My stock OE GoodYear GT3 tyres with 36 psi pressure of atmospheric air served my Linea for 52 k km without any problem. My Linea's new set of Good Year GT3 tyres too get pressurized by atmospheric air only.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    Messages:
    2,188
    Bangalore
    :shocked
    34 is too much ... dont you feel the ride is bumpy?
  7. Cinju

    Cinju Esperto

    Messages:
    1,333
    Trivandrum
    One factor which I would like to add is Nitrogen can prevent /minimise rusting on the inner rim as the there is no oxidization happening here.It is also said that the heat generated while running is also less with nitrogen when compared to normal air which can increase tire life.
  8. Surya

    Surya Superiore

    Messages:
    930
    Namma Bengaluru
    During the wheel balancing and alignment they recommended nitrogen.. 34 psi is what he set.. i also didn't notice any benefits but since then i am just topping up after long drives or once in a month.. i didn't feel bumpy rides .
  9. theblack

    theblack Esperto

    Messages:
    2,188
    Bangalore
    Yes this is all correct but what needs to be looked at is the time and frequency at which the temperature rises so drastically that it will cause issues to tyre life.

    I mean , unless someone drives on the highway everyday at break neck speeds there is little nitrogen can offer..
    There are millions of folks using normal air for the entirety of the tyres life.
    A few thousands of kms difference in the tyres life wont make too much of a difference is what i feel..

    Ideally nitrogen would "Probably" be better, but practically I dont think so

    - - - Merged Post - - -

    Marketing ..

    Actually if you look at it from another perspective nitrogen is far more unreasonable to use than one thinks..
    Eg,
    You have tyres running on N2 and you have a puncture , what will you do. The regular tyre repair fellow will most definitely not have N2 to fill it up .
    Point 2 : Mixing air and nitrogen wont be any beneficial either..
    Air is a heterogenous gas and N2 is homogenous and that pretty much the only difference. Both air and N2 follow most of the Gas laws .

    Also this "Long lasting thing" looks a bit silly to me.
    Air contains nearly 80% N2 so over a period of time should the remaining 20% escape through the nozzle then you will be left with pure N2 only ;-)
    Doesn't make sense to me
  10. halfclutch

    halfclutch Amatore

    Messages:
    194
    mumbai
    guys i am facing a problem with my stock tyres for punto active, the pressure reaches upto 40-41 psi :shock:in just two days of filling them with normal air @ 32psi.
    Making the ride bumpy.

Share This Page