1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre pressure - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by DRIV3R, Feb 11, 2013.

1. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Precisely! In some cases it is always good to follow the philosophy "Do as is being told. Don't question Following recommended tyre pressure definitely is one of those cases.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Tyre pressure is a double-edged sword. Too low is bad. Too high is also bad. It is best to keep the tyre pressure at recommended levels. Here is what I practice, before highway drives, specifically.

I fill up the previous night and also pump up the tyres (including the spare) to 38 psi and drive home. The next morning before starting, I pull out my calibrated pressure gauge and adjust tyre pressures for front and rear as per recommendation, depending on number of passengers and luggage. In the unfortunate event of having a flat, then I check the tyre pressure and adjust the spare accordingly (happened only once in past 7 years). It has worked for me every time. Advantage of overinflating the previous night and adjusting the next morning - you get to set accurate cold tyre pressure.

Rajan
    6 people like this.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Rajan, that is so simple yet brilliant. Just like a Sherlock Holmes' solution to a problem :p
    1 person likes this.
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    One question though.
    If i read correctly 32 PSI(for eg.) should be the cold tire pressure and while I fill up in between a highway run, i should be filling it at a higher PSI than 32 considering the tires are hot after a long run? If so 2 or 3 PSI more is advisable?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    If I remember correctly, Fiat GP manual recommends 4 or 5 psi more after a highway run. Guys, please correct me if I am wrong.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I too maintain little higher PSI when hitting the highways. Normally I maintain 32 but for highways, I make it 34.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Maintain the pressure recomended by Fiat.

I always fill 32 PS before long run when cold, after returning from the trip, I used to fill 32PS again for Normal City driving.

Almost this is the normal routine I used for pressure. Always check the Tyre pressure atleast in 15 days.

1. When you are planning for long trip, always fill air in cold & before trip, may be last night or just before the trip.
    2. You don't need to fill the Air pressure in between the trip, Maintain your speed when running through broken road, don't speed high, use brake slowly where you find hump from distance, don't brake suddenly ( except emergency), brake slowly & release the brake, again press the brake & slow the speed. don't brake hard to slow immediately.
    3. Use cruising speed, etc.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    does the recommendation on tyre pressure depend on the rim size or the profile of the tyre?
    Eg ::
    stock 195/60/15 is rated at 32 PSI (i think)
    i'm running on 205/55/15 .
    So should i still maintain 32 or go lower or higher?
    Since my tyres are super hard its really difficult to find out any difference in the ride quality with a small difference of 1-2 PSI and i hope that wont cause any major issues!!
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Proper tyre pressure is determined by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tyre manufacturer, and is independent of tyre size. Tyre pressure can be increased or decreased to improve mileage, performance (grip) and comfort. In general, follow the guidance in the owner's manual and the label on the driver's side door jamb. From there, you may choose to tailor the pressure to meet your individual preferences for mileage, performance and comfort.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    right, but that listing is given for stock sizes not for mine, what do i do in such a case?