1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre pressure - Discussion

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by DRIV3R, Feb 11, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Contrary to what most of us think, higher psi per tyre is much better than lower than recommended especially during highway runs. Lower pressure heats up the sidewall and results in blowouts. 35 psi is safe enough than say 27 psi.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Source?

Rajan
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    We should just stick to recommended cold pressures - you won't go wrong. Experimenting either way of it then you are on your own and riding your luck.

Go higher than what is recommended and you will wear your tire out un-evenly. I've never had issues of abnormal tyre wear while adhering to recommended pressures.

Cheers.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Lower pressure will certainly generate more heat, more friction hence more heat.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Nopes. The 35 psi air will heat and expand more than 27psi. also on many tyres the safety psi is mentioned. I have seen many tyres with 44psi marked on it. So if you are filling more air then you are getting more close to this parameter.

Always maintain correct recommended pressures and as far as possible fill air when the tyres are cold.
  6. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Italia, I think otherwise.
    For recommended 32psi tyres, 27psi will generate more heat compared to 35psi as friction and flexing will be more.

Yes this is the best thing to do.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    The heat from friction created by the contact between your tires and the road will cause an increase in tire pressure. As the temperature of your tires rises, so will the pressure levels. This increase can cause overinflated tires to blow or underinflated tires to appear acceptable.

Recommened max PSI is given in cold conditions because they know how much the tyre can hold when hot. So if already you are filling more air then pressure will increase exponentially.

Interesting read

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/publications/02v7iss1/ra8.asp
  8. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is mis-conception.
    Over-inflated tyres will generate less heat (pressure will be more, but that is less dangerous), compared to under-inflated tyres.

Google will give you some information. I am just putting 2, from google -

Source - Tire Tech Information - Driving Through Tire Blowouts

Source - Why Tires Fail
    5 people like this.
  9. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Going lower than recommended is always more dangerous than going higher

The max pressure indicated on the tyre is not the same as burst pressure. The "max press" and "max load" numbers indicate the pressure at which the tire will carry the maximum amount of weight. The burst pressure is multiple times the max pressure.

Release from Bridgestone : http://www.bridgestone.co.za/corporate/news/article/608

Quoting from this link : Tyre Care & Safety - BKT Tires -

Another link and quote : TireSafety.com

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    6 people like this.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Wow thats an eye opener. So its a wrong perception all over that while driving on highways one should reduce the PSI. Its always safe to keep the recommended tyre pressure.
    1 person likes this.