1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre losing air pressure

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Dhruv_Sappers, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi Team,

I need your expert advice on this issue. Recently when I went to check the air pressure in the tyres, the front left one had 10 punctures( 4 on the side and 6 in a cluster at the center of the treads) I think I may have not realized that I am driving on a punctured tyre and have added more to it hence the 10 punctures. The tyres are only 8K old. I have now fitted it with a tube. Is this the right way to go about it or change the tyre with a new one?
    Size: 195/ 60 R15
    Vehicle: Punto Emotion 1.3MJD
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Don't take risk with tyre because they are the most important part of vehicle safety. I have heard many arguments against using a tube in a tubeless tyre. Inner surface of tubeless tyre is not made to hold a tube. Because of that rubbing of a tube inside a tubeless tyre causes heating. That is why it is not safe to use a tube inside a tubeless tyre. If there are so many punctures you better replace the tyre. Reason is - the way our tyrewallas repair the tyres allows moisture to seep into the tyre structure and rust the reinforcement wires. Because of that tyre loses the strength leading to sudden and catastrophic tyre failure. You can imagine the situation if that happens when you are at high speed. Best option in my opinion is change the tyre.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Iyu likes this.
  3. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi Ravi!

Thank you so much for the advice. I will change my tyres first thing on Saturday and will not drive the vehicle until then. I suspected this as well. I have something more to share from a different page I visited.

Last Sunday, I noticed a puncture on my car so took it to the nearest puncture removal fellow. Mistake number 1.

So this guy removes the tyre and starts inspecting the punctures. Somehow, he found 11 punctures, including 2 in the sidewall and a punctured valve. total cost 1400 bucks! Mistake number 2. But have no choice but to accept what he says. tyres are bridgestone and done only about 5k kms. No other tyre on this car has punctures. Parking is in secure area (concrete surface) with no debris.

Of the 11 punctures, 7 had nails in them and the other 4 had glass shreds. While this is a tubeless tyre, there were no punctures observed till 3 days before this incident. There is no way that I could have accumulated 11 punctures in these 3 days considering I drove perhaps a total of 5 kms on roads where my other 2 vehicles drove a total of around 30kms (same days, same roads). There is no construction site or debris around.

My suspicions are more as 3 sets of nails were found in the tyre as if shot from a double barrel gun.
    How can this happen? Do our puncture fellows indulge in some unscrupulous practices to get more punctures? More importantly how do they get away with this? I mean at what time of the tyre removal did they manage to add the extra punctures?

Mods, feel free to merge/ move as appropriate.

Edit: I was standing right next to the tyre. Another guy distracted me by asking if I had applied the handbrake and asked for the jac spanner. That was for maybe 5 seconds. I am not sure if he could pull off anything in that time. The only other time I was away from the tyre is when he was bumping it near his small water tray. Another 10 seconds.
    The tyre definitely had a puncture for sure before I went to the guy. What I am trying to say here is that I suspect the guy added a few of his own. I may not be correct in this case, but I am sure some of these guys try to pull a fast one on us.
    What I want to know is when and how they do it so that I can be more alert to their tricks.
    I understand I can go to another shop but there are some situations when this is not possible.

"The only different thing which was asked me was engage gears of the vehicle."
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I agree with you - 11 punctures looks little too much. One more strong reason for you to change the tyre - never repair the side wall. Side wall damage = replace the tyre!
  5. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    There is no way you could have 11 punctures at a time. Most of them were man made either at the shop or some place you had parked. These road side puncture wala's use a ring like pin in their fingers with which they can easily puncture the side walls. I have also experienced this. To avoid this get your tyres checked & repaired only at reputed shops.

I also agree with Ravi, Side wall puncture change the tyre.

Kiran
  6. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Ten punctures at one time is unbelievable! And if you had four sidewall puncture's the tyres would deflate very quicky not over a period of time. I had a side wall puncture once on my Palio's tubeless tyres and it deflated in a couple of hours.

So like the others have mentioned, it has not happened by itself and you need to change the tyre.
  7. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Thank you all for your responses. I am also filing a police complaint against the puncture fellow. Lets see what is the outcome. I will keep you posted.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  8. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi Team,
    I got the tyre replaced from the dealer, (Goodyear duraplus) at 4750/- including balancing.. The police tried to sort this out but the puncture fellow did not budge.. I thought no wasting time anymore. Also he has been given a strict warning for making sure no such complaints originate at his shop. I am happy that I have a new tyre and am not under any risk because of the puncture holes
    kirenh likes this.