1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Life

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    What is the normal tyre life?
    I read so many places that its normal life is ~35-40k.

But i checked, one of my friend's Alto, It has already ran 60K and tyre is still looking in good condition. I checked on Accent also, that has already run 40K and it was in very good condition.

Is the life also depends if its a Tubless or Tube tyre??
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Driving within the city limit for life requires no specific age limit for replacement. Once tread wears out you get it replaced.

highway is a different issue. You cant drive on the highway on 2-3 yr old tyres. The rubber may give way and cause a accident.

It is irrelevant if the tyre is tubed or tubeless...

If you have regular highway (city mixed) runs, replace the tyres every 1.5 yrs (safer side 1yr if more highway runs) or when the tread wears out.. which ever happens earlier.

If you drive only within the city you can drive till the tread wears out or when cracks appear on the side wall of the tyre. Replace if there are cracks.
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

I kept on using the same tyres on my previous car Ikon for 75-80,000 kms. Changed only 1 tyre earlier due to running 5-10 kms with punctured tyre. Changed another tyre due to a truck brushing up & the tyre got damaged. Remaining 2 were 75-80 K kms old when it became compl5etely "takla" (Very risky - won't do the same mistake again). Since I was going to sell the car that time, went for temporary 2nd hand tyres for 3-4 months :mrgreen:

But this time I'm clear. Am thinking of changing tyres at around 35,000 kms. Another thought is I'll be keeping this car for 4 years i.e. around 80,000 kms. 1 thought is to change tyres at 30K kms, then again at 60K kms. The other thought is to change it at 40K kms thats it & do not change it until I change the car. I think option 1 is safe & sound. What say?
  4. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

Option2 is better(unless you are not going to do some spirited driving)
    But do keep an eye on the front tyres though. Because they tend to wear out soon due to engine weight.
  5. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    For "city only" and "tar road" only usage : you can keep the tyres for as long as 50-60k.

But if you have frequent highway runs (And especially on cement roads / highways), the tyre life is significantly shortened. (30-35k)

Type of compound (soft, medium or hard) also determines the tyre life. Soft compound loses life quickly but gives you superior grip, handling and control.

I believe that periodic visual inspection by the owner and a trusted tyre dealer / expert is the best way to determine the life of the tyre.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

::pP This is new knowledge for me. Thanks.
    In my previous car, I changed the two tyres at around 45K and the other two just before selling it at 70K
  7. NAREN64

A good Tyre life would be 45K Kms. After this even if the Thread is very much visible the Tyre becomes hard & it causes problems in suspension & braking. It would be good for the car maintenence & saftey aspects to chage the Tyres after 50k Kms. This is my view & I have been implementing the same in my cars.
  8. Yes, and (hence) it is not just the kms that make the tyre less usable, it is age also (equally).
    When the tyre has just run 20-30k kms, but if it more than 2-3 years old, even then it would have lost much of its softness whatsoever, and the harder it gets, the behaviour changes much and so does handling.
    Again, for normal low speed city/neighbourhood running, this might be still ok, but for high speeds /heavy maneuvers in highways this will be extremely dangerous. The compromise may prove too costly.
    I still clearly remember that great WOW feel I had when I first drove my Mitsu once the 4 tires were changed, after much deliberation about the investment. Later it more became a Comfort and then a confidence feeling.
  9. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It depends on a lot of things:

1. the quality and brand of tires
    2. the way the driver drives
    3. condition of the road
    4. how often did you use it
    5. how do a driver take care and maintain it (wheel balance and wheel alignment).

This are some factors to consider on how long a tire could last. It could be less than a year or more than 7 years, it depends really.
  10. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There are two clear criteria for tyre life. The first criteria is the kms done vis-a-vis tread/tyre condition. This is relatively straight forward. The second is the age of the tyre which may not be related to kms done or the tread/tyre condition. This criteria, in my opinion, is not so straight forward.

The important point here is that the aging of the tyre starts on the shelf itself. The impact of this aging can be minimised considerably by storing the tyres in a controlled environment. For example, the Indian Air Force stores all aircraft tyres in a fully air conditioned environment. With the type of hot and humid environment that prevails at most of our tyre dealers, the impact of "shelf ageing" is significant. Things become aggravated by the fact that most dealers will try and palm off their older tyres to their customers. This is more so in the case of the 'premium brands'. Quite often one ends up paying a bundle for a tyre with 'limited' residual life.

Buying an "old" tyre can be avoided if one knows how to check the date of manufacture of the tyre. On the tyre there is an elongated oval (actually it is a rectangle with rounded sides) depression close to the rim. It is generally on the outer side, but an odd brand may have it on the inner side. In this you will find a series of letters followed by three/four digits. If there are only three digits, the tyre is over 10 years old! DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH A BARGE POLE. In the case of four digits, the first two indicate the week of the year, and the last two indicate the year. Thus, a tyre marked 1208 would have been manufactured in the 12th week of 2008 ie. end Mar 08.

Anyone planning to buy new tyres should keep this in mind - could save you a lot of trouble later.