1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre downsizing advice needed - Does a few mm affect ?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by RaviInTfi, Dec 10, 2015.

1. RaviInTfi

RaviInTfi Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Hi Guys,

For a 2009 Punto Emtion 1.4. I am planning a "downsize" of my tyres. From 195/60R15 to 175/70R14. From what I know the GC then reduces by around 7m which I am willing to take.

However I have another option of 185/65R14 which will reduce the GC further by another 2.25mm.

Will this small change affect ? Has anybody any experiences with this size. Will the added section width of 185mm offset the disadvantage of slightly lower profile ?

Which tyre would weigh more, as this whole thing is basically to go lighter on wheels with added comfort..
  2. R Rajesh

R Rajesh Novizio

Salem
    salem
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    All the above tyres Will remain the same GC.
  3. RaviInTfi

RaviInTfi Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You mean there is negligible GC difference between 195/60R15 , 185/65R14 185/70R14 and 175/70R14, 165/80R14 ?

I am planning for the non-standard size 185/70R14..But i guess 175/70R14 would be even lighter..(have become somewhat paranoid about wheel weight :)) )

The current wheels I have is 195/60R15 OEM FIAT alloys and Gooyear tyres. Totally makes driving a mess because of the weight of wheels..
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2015 ---
    Infact at the moment I can confused between 185/70R14 and 175/70R14. Go forthe185 get a bit of GC advatange and perhaps at the risk of heavier wheels like the 195 or stick to 175/70 as per OEM..
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @RaviInTfi What mess are you talking about? What are you looking to gain by downsizing the tires?? How does the current set up bad and what you expect to improve.
  5. RaviInTfi

RaviInTfi Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @nibedk: To each his own. The current setup feels like I am driving a road roller and not a car.. :)).
  6. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @RaviInTfi Well I agree to what you say. But I really wanted to understand the issues that you are facing. What you lose by down sizing the tires will be much more than you gain.
    manjunathkl likes this.
  7. RaviInTfi

RaviInTfi Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @nibedk, the issues are lack of initial acceleration, dull thuds, lack of comfort, though to be honest the "road roller" effect is mostly due to the hardening of tyres.
    Prepared so, to take the GC loss if these issues are solved - and I think this will be solved. . sorry for "messing" :) this thread with too many details. Fnalized on 185/70R14..

Mods may close this thread..
    R Rajesh likes this.