1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre damage - suggestion please

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by RaviHegde, Nov 14, 2014.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Punto E+, stock tyres, 36500 kms done so far. I saw this damage on the front right side tyre yesterday.
    63331-7681bb52a3e5e955716f6a25ac7c7a9c.jpg
    No air pressure loss, no wobbling, no pulling to left/right. No other problems so far. How serious does it look and is it safe to drive with this tyre for the rest of its life (may be another year or two) ? I can see some threads in the damaged area. Will there be problems in future when water/moisture goes into this damaged part? Please suggest what can be done to fix this problem.

Attached Files:

2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes certainly the reliability is compromised. You never know when it will give up. If you have a good stepney tyre better to use that instead for daily runs till you buy a set of all new tyres.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Since it is already driven for 36500 KMs, you should plan to change all tyres sooner.

If your other 4 tyres are fine, you can use this for spare tyre. Cut looks such that it might not loose pressure, but if drive on highway with high speed, it could be dangerous.
  4. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    You have 2 options
    1. Switch to spare wheel if you can
    2. Get new tyre

Anything else would be risky...but if you are one of the Kitna Deti hai type Indian... you may want to leave your family out of the car till the time you are using this tyre.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am 100% "Fiat type"; safety is the mantra; "Kitna Deti hai" does not matter! Stock set could have lasted for another 5-10k kms if not for this damage. I have to now change the tyres reluctantly - not because of cost, but for another reason. 3 years back I had wobbling problem. Balancing and alignment in Madhus on RV Road in Bangalore did not solve the problem. They made it worse. Then I took the car to Vijay Alignment in JP Nagar. I doubted they will be able to fix it because their equipment looked ancient compared to Madhus. But the operator there surprised me by doing a perfect job. That proved man is more important than the machine! Good operator can get the best out of a not so modern machine. Believe it or not, I have not balanced my wheels after that in last 3 years and it is still working perfectly. No wobbling/vibration at any speed between 0-100kmph (I rarely do 100kmph though). Tyres have uniform wear. Does not pull left/right. Looks like both alignment and balance are perfect. Changing the tyres means balancing (alignment also probably). That is the scary part! More scary now because I have moved out of Bangalore last year. My nearest service point is Hubli. I will be very thankful if someone can suggest tyre shop doing perfect job in Hubli.
  6. shahabalisaqib

shahabalisaqib Timido

Delhi
    I also facing the same problem in fiat punto from the buying time
  7. mnvvishwa

mnvvishwa Novizio

Bangalore
    I'm also facing the wheel alignment problem after the changing of the front right tire because of the side wall cut (14K on odometer). Now the car is pulling to left. I hope Fiat people will resolve the pulling issue in the 15K service.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Wheel alignment is such a quick fix, I dont see why it can be an issue, unless finding the right guys for the job is a trouble for a specific region. It is wheel balancing that takes time and is quite an automated job except only executed by a trained and experienced person.
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    +1 to Aseem.

Its a thumb rule that you should do wheel alignment & balancing after changing tyres. Generally the outlets which sell the tyres also provide WA/WB as a freebie. Bangalore guys can check with Madhu's based on the good report from the owners who have done it there.
  10. DEEPAK BAPAT

DEEPAK BAPAT Novizio

Pune
    Change all four tyres. Get the Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 185/70 R 14 if you are not driving entirely on highways & in cities.This tyre is Good for Bad Indian roads.Otherwise go for Michiline or Yokoes.Do not use damaged tyre it is risky.Since you are having 165 section tyre get this opportunity to upgrade to 185 section it is highly recommended.