1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre Change for Punto Active 1.3MJD under budget

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by saurav, Jul 2, 2012.

1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

My Punto has MRF ZLO, a very soft tyre. Grip, handling, comfort, noise, braking .... every thing is just excellent. Aprat from this, FE has increased for sure. I've shared screenshots of 21.7 kmpl with 100% AC on for 139.5 kms. Mine is Petrol.

I got it Rs 3850 per tyre.
  2. saurav

saurav Amatore

Can't see your pics....but most of the guys i spoke to said MRF to be tougher compound & hence hard ride quality
  3. iamsameerj

iamsameerj

Pune
    Replaced the stock Bridgestone tyres on my GP Emotion with Michelin XM2 (185/65 R14) a couple of weeks back. Got them for Rs. 4600 apiece. Have covered about 600+ kms after the change. So far I am happy with the change. There is almost zero tyre noise. Initially, I felt the braking was not very satisfactory/reassuring i.e. the car was covering a slightly longer distance to come to a halt vis-a-vis my stock tyres, but that probably can be attributed to the initial run-in required. Now, I am quite comfortable with these.
    When I was looking for replacement tyres, I had shortlisted Michelin XM2 and Yoko C-Drives. However, all the tyre dealers I reached out to in Pune said that they do not have the C-Drives in stock and will have to order them, so I decided against these. I also looked at the A-drives but felt their side-walls to be too soft (my personal opinion) so eventually settled on the XM2s. Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore
    Where can i get best price for MFR ZLO or XM2 in Bangalore. 3800 for ZLO is very enticing.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Ask ramjn and srida in the forum for feedback, before deciding on the ZLO. They have used it, have firsthand experience with those and were not quite happy.

Rajan
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Srida would have got used to ZLO's by now like i did :eek:

Let me review the ZLO's again after 7 months and 15K kms on them. I have used only the Apollo's Accelere's extensively (for 45k Kms) before switching to the ZLO's so i can compare only with those.

- GRIP is excellent, I think it is slightly superior than the Accelere's
    - Handling - not in the league good as the Accelere's, mostly due to the softer sidewalls that tend to flex.
    - Water dispersion - Does not hydroplane for the most part in heavy rains, the Accelere's used to hydroplane a lot from what i remember.
    - Punctures - Only one in 15K kms.
    - Road Noise - I don't care. I can't even make out if they are noisier than my Accelere's, does not make a difference to me since the rest of the car is not very silent either (the engine roar past 92500 RPM and the window noise).
    - City drive - Excellent option, soaks up the potholes well.
    - Highway drive - Good as long as you are not a spirited driver.

Am i happy with the tyres?

Yes, though i was a bit worried during the initial 3-4K Kms since i felt the handling was very bad, mostly due to the sidewall flexing due to their soft nature. The Accelere's have hard sidewalls and perform very well on high speed cornering. Now that im used to the ZLO's, i don't feel any problems, I probably drive within it's limits.

Will i buy the ZLO's again?

No. Not because i hate them, but i'd like to try something else. Given my driving style, i'll go back to tyres that have hard sidewalls i guess. Still a long way to go for new tyres so not thinking right now.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  7. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore
    Where i can expect best price for XM2 in Bangalore? Is 5500 INR per tyre a good price?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    What size?

Rajan
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yokohama A drive, good money, good tyre, boring pattern, good life.

Regards,
    Phew
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ballu

Ballu

Bangalore
    I am looking for 195/60/R15 profile .. stock tyres have this size.
    Would upgradeing to 195/65/R15 make sense and will it be safe?