1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tyre busted on rainy day - Need new ones for punto 90 HP

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Hurricane, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

It all happened couple of weeks back on a rainy day here in Hyderabad. It was raining very hard and at around 12:30 AM or so I was driving across a flyover and since it was raining heavily, I couldn't make out where the ditch was (as it was already filled with water) and went over it. The side wall on my left front tyre got busted (bridgestone). I was shocked and surprised to learn that the side wall cracked so easily and trust me, I wasn't driving that fast at all. Maybe, it's just bad luck. Cursing my luck, I stopped the vehicle and replaced that faulty tyre with a stepney. Alas, if only I had been a bit careful, but imagine a stupid ditch on a flyover. :uh

Below was my earlier setup

Back two tyres - Good Year GT3 - (STOCK)

Front left tyre - Bridgestone turanza

Front right tyre - Birdgestone turanza

Below is what I currently have..

Back two tyres - Good Year GT3 - (STOCK)

Front left tyre - Good Year GT3 (stepney) - Stepney is a bad tyre as well.. but somehow I am able to keep it running for now

Front right tyre - Birdgestone turanza

I need to replace tyres for my Punto and I am a bit confused as to which one to go for. Since the stepney is bad, I want to keep the front bridgestone as stepney and buy two new ones for front.

I went to a tyre shop (Mohan Chandra wheel care centre, near Indira Park) yesterday to get a quote. The shop is very near to my place and they have been in this business for a long time. Of course, I will take the quotes from other shops as well just to make sure that I get the right price. But for now, below are the prices he quoted.

Good Year GT3 (88T) - 4950/-

Good Year Assurance (88 - H or V ? I am not sure) - 5450/-

Bridgestone Potenza RE88 (88V) - 5500/-

Bridgestone Ecopia MY01 (88H) - 5400/-

Michelin Primary LC (88V) - 5850/-

Yokohoma V550 AVS (88V) - 5300/-

I also enquired about upsizing the front two tyres. He highly recommended Yokohoma AS01 S Drive- 205/55 R 15 88 W :wow the tyre looked really good and I am tempted to buy these. It's costing 6300/- each.

Am I right in assuming that the impact will be minimal if I up-size only the front tyres and leave out the rear ones as it is. Is that correct?

What are the noise levels of Yoko S drive ?

Say I went ahead and upsized the front tyres to 205/55 and considering the worst case scenario if any of my front tyres got punctured, I won't be having a spare wheel of that size. I just cant run a 195/60 for tyre 1 and 205/55 for tyre 2 ??

On the other hand, I am not too bothered about the tyre noise. Handling, braking and side wall toughness is all I need. Moreover I am on a tight budget and I don't want to replace all the four tyres. The rear tyres still has good life.

If up-sizing is out of the equation, I might just go for good old GT3 or Yoko V550 AVS. I know many had complaints with GT3 but with the condition of our Indian roads, I think they are one of the best tyres out there. They offer very good road grip as well.

Please suggest.
  2. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

I will reach out to other dealers in the city to see if I can get a good deal for my rear ones. If I get a good buy back offer, I am planning on going for Yoko 550 AVS.

any suggestions ?
  3. Michilin PLC is available for 5500 per tire in Bangalore, also look at online tire store changemytire.com or some thing like that.
  4. arian

arian Amatore

My car is running on Yoko AVS DB 550 for the last 18,000 kms approx. My experience -
    1) 2 punctures on the front LHS tyre the very next day the tyres were installed. No sure whether the tyres were culprit or sheer bad luck.
    2) Supersoft. Very quiet. Good grip.
    3) Had to alter my driving style quite a bit as I m now little skeptical of the tyre wall.
    4) Even then had a front tyre bust when I accidentally hit a pothole during my alibaug trip.
    5) Had to replace this one tyre....got it for Rs. 5100/- 20 days back.

My suggestion - go for it if comfort & silence is a priority and driving is majorly on good roads. Strictly avoid if your commute is not on good roads or you ll end up replacing both your front DBs in due course due to sidewall punctures.

1 person likes this.
  5. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Pray tell, WHO on earth has suggested you to upgrade one set of tyres and leave the other one stock? On a Punto? That is as risky as it can be. You should always go for same size on all four tires - whichever brand you choose.

This is the first time I'm seeing a case where someone willingly wants to keep two different sized tires on a hatch. Yes, there have been cases of duping by dealer, but even that is not an acceptable excuse.
    1 person likes this.
  6. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Go with Michelin PLC, it will be good with less noise too. But You will get 195/60 R15; 205/55 R15 not available in PLC.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Thanks for all your comments.

I did checkout the online store. Michelin tyres are very good but I am not too keen on getting them as I am a bit concerned about the soft side walls.

Thanks much Arain for your review. This really helps.

My main concern is with the soft side walls. I am ok with the noise as long as its acceptable. I have been living with the GT3's for a while now and I think they are not that noisy either.. At high speeds, I always keep my windows up as not doing so will effect the overall stability of the vehicle. All in all, I am a bit ok with the noise levels on the GT3.

I will talk to other dealers in the city to see if I can get a good deal for the yokos.. Again, thanks for your review. :)

It was the dealer. I was kinda taken back too. He is a very reputed dealer who has been in this business for a very long time. I just cannot fathom why he felt that upsizing the front two tyres will not have any effect. His reasoning was that since the upgrade is not that huge, it wont have any effect and moreover in future I can just change the back tyres when required.

Imagine how weird it would be if the front two tyres are upsized..:A But the tyre (Yokohoma AS01 S Drive- 205/55 R 15 88 ) has a speed rating W.. I am just tempted that's all.. ::V The plan was to run the upsized tyres for couple of days until I get a new ones for the rear too.. But again, if this is what I want to go for, I should also change the stepney and this would overshoot my budget. mostly people ignore the stepney part

As of now, I am not planning on upsizing the two tyres.. Just in a dilemma whether to go to Yoko(for less noise) or good old GT3 (tough ones). Will keep you posted.

Thanks Suman. I know Michelin are very good tyres and offer less noise. To be honest, I am not that concerned with the tyre noise. As long as the noise is acceptable, it is fine with me.
  8. Michelin's side walls are not too soft as it is made up in the internet,but the main difference between GT3 and PLC is handling. GT3 will be little more precise on uneven roads and corners or both put to gather. PLC will have slightly increased body roll.but I got used to it quickly.
    But every other aspects Michelin's will score over GT3.I have drive in worst roads since last 2K kms PLC did not had any issues.side walls did take few hits but came up in flying colors.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Hurricane

Hurricane Amatore

Ah.. well, I know how things are easily made up in the internet. ::V

Having soft wall has its advantages (Smoother drive). I completely agree with you, soft walls or not, there is always a learning curve to it and therefore, depends on the person handling the car.

No wonder Michelin PLC are tagged as premium tyres. I will check them out with the dealer by today or tomorrow.
    P.S: I really wish changemytyre.com has a tyre compare feature..
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No doubt GT3 are good tyres,i'm running on stock for now 40K Kms.i know it will go for another 10K Kms easily.
    These days after seeing the accidents on the roads due to tire bursting i'm little bit scared and driving the car very cautiously,hence decided now to change the tires.
    will also go for profile upgrade from 195/60/R15 to 195/65/R15 ;) for GC effect.
    The big question is now which one to select either GT3(proven by myselves) or Michelin PLC(by others),does michelin PLC have 195/65/R15 ?

P.S:- please change the thread title,as we are discussing all about tires and not the reason or why tire have been bursted :D
    1 person likes this.