1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Two Generations - One FIAT

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Arun AC, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Arun AC

Arun AC Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well.. Spending nearly a quarter of my lifetime reading about cars, getting awe-struck while some magnificent ones pass by, getting drenched in rain while i watch my traffic signal neighbor listening to music, windows rolled on, music on in his car.. Am no more than an average guy of my age.. I always wanted to drive a car, feel it and pen down my experiences to remind a few of you out there to relinquish your moments of your first car. 26 years after I cried for the first time, I am here to share with you the moments of getting my first car (by the time you read this, I am done with my first service with INR 300 on my bank statement).

To Justify the Title (like our movies), My Dad (1st Gen) & Me (nxt Gen) synced on one thing for once.. Thats FIAT. Yes, he owned a FIAT Padmini back in early 90's when the economic liberalisation paved way for Padmini to goto rest and for the current competitors of my car to come in.. Speaking of "My Car", I have indeed driven a lotta them in the last 8 years ranging from a fan belt-torn Indica squealing like Rats in your garage to the cars where you don't hear the person out side those doors shreiking at you on you unleashing the power of those machines (well not the Italian bulls & horses). Having said that, I wanted "My Car" to do simple things.. Port me safely, comfortly & with pride to places I would wish to go.. Ofcourse the order in our automotive market is "Ultah" :confused:

Going by the priorities custom sorted in my order, I had only choice rather an order (that fits my wallet).. It was a FIAT Grade Punto 1.3 MJD "Emotion". Love the way they named the Trim. So finally on April 20th, after shuttling between the brands KHT, SBI & RTO, I got "My Car" on April 20, 2014. Believe Me !! I neva did a TD of the GP. Having extensively driven the cars on my wishlist, I merely went for the car when I heard folks speaking about the Driveability of the car. Yes those who spoke about it are guys who drive our average NCAP test failed cars till it chokes out of power in that Red line area.. An I myself is no exempt from the list as I simply love to throw cars at all the speed I carry at those bends where all you see is a Movie poster adorning the board carrying a not so useful message "Dangerous Curves Ahead". And I wanted a car that would remain as composed as me after exiting that corner. And GP didn't make me regret my failure to do a TD (Touchwood, It was spot on). One reason to love the "Emotion".

But my daily commute in B'lore didn't have room for all such "Handling". Rather I was put into a new experiment "SHIFT"... I remember my dad teaching me to use a gear lever and it was like the initial training session for J.Smith in "Karate Kid". Move to Left, Notch up for Odd gear & Bring it Neutral & Notch it back for Even one.. My instructor made me do it for almost a month till he realized that the Service Guy charges him for worn out Gear Bushes :D The next time I did it so many times was when I started commuting to office in the ever stagnant B'lore traffic. Lucky Me, The Clutch & Gearshift in "My Car" was butter smooth I would say that I put my Dad's German Ride to quite a bit of shame. That adds one more reason to love the "Emotion".

One month on & after quite a bit of driving (close to 2.5K in the first month), I felt I have connected with the "Emotion". I just wanted to experience the spirited side of me on a familiar route.. So there I go to Chennai.. although 76 HP wasn't enough and my Sales Person's constant reminder of a run-in period, I decided to test what this machine can do.. It was just a smile on my face after I reached the destination which meant to myself "Not a Bad performance.. Not bad for this kinda car.. Too good for a car chosen without even a TD". So that spirit got stuck to me & when I tried to re-live that moment in Bangalore, There comes an Auto rickshaw.. A spirited driver and a spirit consumed driver :twisted: Whatta Combo.. That too on a slope... Me trying to climb up-hill & he comes down so fast, bang opposite trying to push me to the left but I stay making him realize things late & he swerving to his left in his typical fashion loses control.. Am in "My Car" like Dom staring at the car spinning towards him in the initial sequences of Fast Five.. The Auto rolls and hit my car near my right ORVM and lays upside down.. Passers by come to the rescue & I get down to realize that the Auto's structure has completely gone in Disarray (luckily, not a single bruise to either of us).. Horrified, I turn to "My Car", There it stands with a small scratchless dent just to show off how solid it is build.. Yes, Its built solid & the structural rigidity & loads of steel from bumper to bumper makes you feel cocooned for a car of its class. It felt SAFE. I know I got a car that ticked most of my checkboxes which predominantly focussed on Safety.

Though Equipment levels were low & not something that need a special mention, they were still there & serves my purpose. I have plans to spruce up the EQ of the car shortly post which I have planned to exhaust the pages about it in detail. For now, I happily finish off the Intro of "My Car" & will be eager to share my ownership experiences & travelogues. Thanks to FIAT for bridging the Gen-Gap & also to this forum for giving insights about the car. With more to come, signing off.. Happy times ahead folks !!
    14 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Awesome write-up.

Welcome to TFI, Arun. I suggest you to start your ownership thread as well.
  3. bharath

bharath Regolare

Coimbatore
    Arun, from time to time ,Fiat owners write not just about their cars but make a poetic seductive narration and you are no different from them :p.I guess only FIAT is capable of bridging the past and present generations.Congrats and enjoy your ride.
    3 people like this.
  4. Arun AC

Arun AC Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the warm welcome Ram !! Will initiate a ownership thread & will share further happenings there :)

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks Bharath !! Yeah.. The earlier threads I read here, inspired me to write this one..
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Welcome to the Forum Arun AC,

Great Intro, Great narrative and evidently Great passion you have for your new car. Good to see someone enjoying every bit of a new car ownership experience.
    Looking forward to read more such passion filled write-ups and wishing you better luck next time and every time from getting into any trouble while driving. :)

Don't know whether to feel sorry or angry towards the rick owner.
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    Hearty congratulations on your purchase and warm welcome to the forum.
    Just like other Fiat owners with brain :), a poetic write up and hearty congratulations on working hard and reaching your goal early in life.
    2 similarities between you and me,1st and the present car are fiat cars and both of us have bought with out a Td.
    Wish you lots and lots of happy miles.Happy motoring.
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Very nice write up Arun :up! Welcome and congratulation on buying a FIAT and enjoy! By the way, have you mentioned the colour of your car anywhere in your post?
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations on your car! Have more emotional miles with it.
    Nice writing, as most of the Fiatians, it is a matter of heart :)
  9. Arun AC

Arun AC Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson: Thanks for your appreciation of the write up & wishes.. Looking forward to share more articles with all of you :)
    @Bala : Thanks a lot Bala.. Hope we buy more cars without a TD :p
    @5u3zEr0 : Thanks Man !! I missed to mention the color : Tuscan Wine
    @limraj : Thank you Limraj for the wishes !!
  10. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Great write up Arun... Congrats on your GP... Waiting for your ownership thread :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk