1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turn off EGR - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by avnsiva, Mar 28, 2014.

1. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    I read in many other posts that the EGR does add to the soot in the engine, roughness, vibration and improper fuel combustion.
    Can I get the EGR mechanically turned off instead?
    If its possible, what are the benefits/negatives?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    avnsiva,

There are bad effects to environment if egr is deleted/disabled, besides egr does have other advantages in engine running.

Please read the Advantages and Disadvantages here..
    Source : Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), NOx and particulate measurement | Cambustion

3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    As a part of remap that's the first thing which is closed.. I've got my PUC done at least 8 times and all the readings are within limit

Sent from my Q1000 using Tapatalk 2
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    That's because your engine is in pink of health. And most mjds cared for will give good PUC readouts.

For sake of clarity do you mean you got it done after egr delete/disable/mechanical bypass ?

Which Remap company is this? Cause the one I have in mind doesn't disable it AFAIK.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you close EGR temp.of combustion chamber rises. Risk of preignition is there.
    Cooled Exhaust gases keeps temp. of combustion chamber at optimum level.
    1 person likes this.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Perfect info Bhai..! Best not to bypass/delete EGR.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  7. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    As such EGR remains closed during a good throttling or at higher speeds. So anyway its not helping in reducing the combustion chamber for most of the time right?

- - - Merged Post - - -

I am referring to the post here where one of our TFI'an have disabled the EGR at the service centre
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    ^^ That is correct to an extent. But in the mid range when the engine is not idle or on full throttle, the egr will come into play. I am not 100% sure, but there is a reasonable doubt that since the EGR Valve/s are electro mechanical in nature, they are/can be programmed to work on feedback from varying engine parameters. The engines are believed to be tuned to reduce NO[SUB]x[/SUB] emissions after lots of tests under varying loads. What we see is an iteration, a compromise achieved after lab test and real world tests and feedbacks are taken from engineers and customers over a period of decades; about 4 decades in the case of EGRs since they were first introduced.

- - - Merged Post - - -

@avnsiva, this question was directed to theblack, to find if the PUC tests were taken after egr bypass. Anyways, I don't trust those PUC vans who issue everyone a clean chit, it's a huge sham is what it is. The government and contractors are happy to collect some revenue is all that is to it for the most part.
    1 person likes this.
  9. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    I was checking on ways to disable EGR. So there is an electrical wire connection from the ECU which controls the EGR solenoid. If we remove it, then the EGR will stay shut. But the problem with this approach is that, the Engine Check light comes on.
    I removed this cable and drove the vehicle for about 20-30 km's. There is a good improvement in the pickup and the engine noise and vibrations have gone down drastically.

Since I am not fine to run the vehicle with that warning light, I reconnected it and its back to the original.

But disbaling EGR certainly improves the smoothness of the engine.

- - - Merged Post - - -

This video asks us to measure the resistance between the ends of the ECU cable and then connect equivalent resistors so that the engine warning light will not come off.

EGR cable.jpg

What are the risks in trying this method? Will it cause any harm to the ECU? Please give your views.