1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

turbocharger life

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vivek NS, Aug 7, 2015.

1. vivek NS

vivek NS Timido

chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have clocked 61,000 kms. Got the timing belt replaced, along with 4 glow plugs. Now after the service, in 2nd gear at 4000 run the speed is still 40kmph. The service people claimed that the turbocharger failed and wanted me to buy new one for 45,000 rs. My question, how can the turbocharger fail all of a sudden when it was at the service station and also I did not see any kind of error messages or warning lights in the speedo. Looking for some suggestions. All I knew was that the turbo was all good before the service station.
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ viviek

Can you please divulge more details about your car manufacturing model power etc.
    In no case you have to spend 45 K even if you have to replace itt with new turbo
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The turbo charger can fail on 3 major known reasons:
    1) Insufficient lubrication
    2) Foreign material ingress
    3) Overspeeding.

Yes, there would be warnings on the MID before the actual failure such as Engine Check light. Other warnings could be increased exhaust smoke, Abnormal Noise or intermittent power loss in between the gear changes. Had you experienced any of the above? If you did, was that reported to the FASS? If not, then FASS cannot be blamed for the turbo failure. If the abnormality was reported and nothing was done, the FASS should be held responsible.

I am not too sure if turbo is replaceable under extended warranty if you have it? Check with FASS.
  4. vivek NS

vivek NS Timido

chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That is very pleasing to hear. I have fiat linea 2011 emotion pack MultiJet diesel 1.3litre . Clocked around 61,000 kms
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 7, 2015 ---
    @ghodlu.
    I did not witness any of the above symptoms, my car did not start with the glow plug warning light ON. So I towed it to the FASS for glow plugs replacement. They also urged me to change Timing chain and suspension mount and it's link rod which costed around 24,000 INR. At the time of delivery I noticed that car was almost dying in the second gear to reach 40kmph. But I could reach top speed in the 5 th gear. Now they are checking the EGR valve thinking that it's not turbo's fault. I am equally confused as the FASS people. I even filed complaint regarding this to the toll free number and also mailed one complaint letter. But I just want my car back with its good old form.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Turbocharger Life:- Never given a thought that the same engine oil also is used by turbocharger lubrication.i'm running on 10W 40 is it worth for Turbocharger @KKAUL ? odo at 1,56,000 Kms.When can i expect the turbocharger failure symptons ?
    SHASHANKREDDY likes this.
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges
    10W or 5W be it any no problem with the turbo as long as you change the engine oil and oil filter below 10K mark keep your air Filters clean at every 5000 Km and give it a under body and compulsorily radiator and condenser pressure wash every 5K km.Check at every %K for Turbo and intercooler pipes after wash.Keep your speed under 60 KMph for last 1 KM and you will enjoy the turbo Life.
    You are having a FGT and that is a very robust proven technology. The only flaw I could make out is what I could gather from your post is that you are running a tuning box.This will definately affect the life.
    I do not want to get into details because it will eventually result in lot of debate by some other members.

As far as turbo Life is concerned do not worry FGT is the most versatile design and has the life more than that of car.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Currently i'm maintianing per 7000Kms change and doing this since 60K Kms.Till now, i was just thinking about engine,never given depth thought about turbochrger.Looking at the price of new turbo,i'm scared.For marathon run im happy to maintain last 10 kms at 40 Kmph too,though following the idle practice for 1 min.
    Tuning box:- What i know about tuning box is it fools ECU and chip functionality is related to the fuel pressure,i believe.i'm not using the dual channel tuning box.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Now this is news to me. Does this mean that FASS schedule of changing engine oil, oil filter is flawed or they have some other assumptions? Regarding Air filter cleaning at 5K - isn't that an over kill?. I generally keep speeds less than 50 kmph for the last 500 mts as thumb rule followed by 1 min turbo idling before switch off.
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ganges
    FGT of Punto May not be more than 12-15K max in my opinion so need not worry on that front though it will not go that easily.
    Tuning box be it dual or single does not matter coz at end of the day there is only 1 map which is going to get affected due to their interdependence that is the time in between the injector opens to the time it closes.Thus increasing the fuel. Now if AF ratio is not balanced properly it will lead to increase in EGT and we all know what is going to happen.
    The tuning box are usually power specific not car specific that is the reason they are just blindly giving the signals without any feedback. In a remap though we do not have a feedback but we are able to see what exactly is happening and thus correcting the signal accordingly. I hope I have cleared the doubt
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 7, 2015 ---
    @ghodlur

I never said that that FASS schedule is incorrect. Both schedule will make your car run.
    I will give you an example may be you can understand my point
    We wash wollen clothes some people wash it with detergent , some will use ezee and some will dry clean it.The person who is drycleaning is not foolish but in his mind the service life of the clothes is high.
    So my point is it is upto you what exactly is your priority.
    Ganges likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    This is not specific to the problem the OP faced. Perhaps the FASC has failed to diagnose right or there could be some foul play or it could as in rare cases be a case of pre-mature turbo failure.

Turbo needs to be saved from the infamous Turbo coking issue to keep it functioning in perfect condition.
    That includes as a precaution early oil changes and not taking chances with contamination and also idling a minute or two during stopping to allow the turbo to spin down gradually so that enough oil is being supplied to lubricate it during the period and after.

Sudden stopping of engine after a lengthly tour is a well known reason for pre-mature turbo failure. Also read about turbo timers.

EDIT: http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/turbo-timer-some-help-please.9193/
    Vidhyashankar Kannan and Ganges like this.