1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo Timer, Some Help Please.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Harsh, Feb 9, 2013.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    The information on this thread is very useful.

Paji thank you for the information.

Sent from my MK16i using Forum Runner
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ patchboy & others

Thanks for sharing video. One doubt about VGT.

In first video , accuator is shown moving. Does the accuator opens fully at idle rpm?

I mean does it fluctuate as per change in RPM or does it remain open at fixed position?
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  4. The fiat manual mentions not to idle the engine and start off immeditely after starting so should I idle my T-jet for 30 seconds before starting or not?:confused:
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

As far as the turbo of the T Jet is concerned, idling is not required as it is a water cooled turbo unlike the MJDs. But it is not a good practice to start driving off after a cold start either.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  7. Are you sure? IIRC, Oil as well as liquid coolant pipes to turbo in Tjet. why two ways of cooling was above my head.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Am not mechanically sure about it, Sat. Read about it somewhere and found it logical.

Oil is needed for lubrication, cooling is not really required is what I thought.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Exhaust gases of a gasoline engine (535 to 760 degrees Celsius) are much hotter than diesel engines (260 to 425 degrees Celsius). This requires additional cooling for the Petrol Turbos and are hence both oil and water cooled. Due to this, the petrol turbos need not be idled after a cold start in order to warm up and can be driven off soon after a cold start. However, it makes sense to take it easy till the engine reaches optimum operating temperature. Ideally, driving the first 2 kms without revving hard is sufficient.

That said, even the manual recommends to "allow the engine to catch it's breath" after a spirited drive. So, it makes sense to idle for a minute AFTER a demanding drive, but one can drive off immediately after a cold start, in case of water cooled turbos.

Here is a nice article about DIESEL VS. GASOLINE TURBO DESIGN

Rajan
    asimpleson likes this.