1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo Timer, Some Help Please.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Harsh, Feb 9, 2013.

1. charan

charan

Bangalore

Its actually both oil and water cooled, there is an extra hose connected from the coolant also.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Ofcourse mate. All turbos use oil for lubrication, primarily and cooling, as a secondary function.

There won't be a turbo without oil lines. Superchargers, yes.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. So it seems, the turbo timer seems like a convenient gadget for people who want to take care of their car's hearts but who are "on the run" or simply blonde like me to remember it to idle it! Fellow Tfian Halfclutch idles a good one minute after every drive and makes it a point to make me do it too whenever we meet! Idling is starting to get instilled in my mind..but i'd be worryfree if I had the timer....

It's more of a choice than requirement i suppose..
  4. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Its advisable to idle it after a long run when you had revved it high but I guess our city driving doesn't permit us to rev beyond 1500 RPM most of the times, therefore the idling rule is favorable when you are coming to a standstill after a long distance driving with high revs and even when you start it in the morning after an entire night halt and also preferably keep it below 2000 RPM for a while until engine reaches the right temperature in the morning.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Your theory holds good for FGTs but what about VGTs?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
  6. Yes! Revving in the morning is a must! the clatter settles down immediately! our fiats don't sound like diesels! the clatter is almost negligible!
  7. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Harsh, Revving in the morning after a night stall is not advisable until the engine reaches normal temperatures.
  8. charan

charan

Bangalore
    The VGTs are also almost constantly running at peak RPMs through out the rev range of the car and actually the VGTs need to be cooled more than the FGTs.
    Therefore same rule applies for VGTs and FGTs too.

To sum it up, The Turbo timer will do all the thinking and analyzing once installed and we just have to turn the keys on/off without thinking about all of the above :cool:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  9. i meant idling :p mistook hogaya ^_^ heavy revving isnt advisable most of them time!
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The same applies for both VGT & FGT.

@Charan

The VGT does not run at max turbine rpm's for any engine rpm. That is not the way VGT works.

To know the difference - imagine a turbo which can enlarge itself and also contract itself. At low rpm's, it is the small turbo working and at high rpm's the bigger turbo takes over ( just imagine it for understanding ; although what is happening inside the turbo is not far from this imagination). The hypothetical small turbo can produce better boost at lower turbine speeds & engine rpm's than the hypothetical larger turbo at the same lower turbine+engine rpm speeds. And ofcourse when at high rpm's the exhaust gases pressure + speeds increase and the 'bigger turbo' starts singing it's own sweet song :). This is the stage at which the turbo will be found spinning at it's max.

The VGT is a best of both worlds as you can see.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.