1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo Timer, Some Help Please.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Harsh, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Parantap Chatterjee

Parantap Chatterjee Regolare

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Linea T-Jet
    Well I'm not anti-gadget or anti-tech by any stretch of the imagination , but there seems to be something a little unusual , almost unearthly , about parking your car , taking the keys out , locking and walking away... and still hearing your engine running :(
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

Well if its saving the turbo and critical parts of your cars engine i wont bother about how unusual i am :)
  3. charan

charan

Bangalore
    Does Turbo timers enhance the life of Turbo chargers??

Hi guys, I am contradicting with myself trying to understand the idling rule with Turbo chargers with the MJD and TJet engines if there is a requirement for Turbo timers.

If anybody has installed these devices please throw some light on its advantages/functionalities.
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Well its always going to be debatable if you ask me.
    I've seen guys who have absued there cars like anything without any sort of idling and there turbos are fine even after 65-70K . I've also seen guys who take care of there car and yet turbos have packed up at about 35-40k.

Theoretically at least turbo timers should help you to get better life out of your turbo but just idling can only take you so far as there are other considerations as well.
    My personal opinion , these geeky stuff might look good on paper and on a spec sheet to brag about but nothing really worth spending your money on.
  5. charan

charan

Bangalore
    I agree with your point, I was even talking to Krishna about this earlier.

Its just that the consequences of not maintaining the turbo charger well is playing up in my mind.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There is already a thread on this topic.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  7. charan

charan

Bangalore
    It costs about 3.5k
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Does Turbo timers enhance the life of Turbo chargers??

With regards to idling engine/turbo timer for our MJDs, it is good to have BUT for the T Jet, its not required. Reason being MJDs turbo is oil cooled and hence it requires the engine to be in idle for the oil to be circulated while the T Jets turbo is water cooled.

It is advisable to idle any engine NA or TCed for 30secs atleast after a highway ride for better health of the engine itself in general.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Rajan, threads merged.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Better to use good brand engine oil and Delvac 1 is the best. Bypass your idea about the timers with good branded engine oil ;) .
    when the engine is off, it doesnt means there is no oil on the shaft(after long run) .As per the delvac specs,in high temperatures it forms a thick layer of oil :confused: .