1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo Timer, Some Help Please.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Harsh, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hello All.
    Have been doing some looking around about this device called "Turbo timers"
    could some one actually give a frank explanation to me because i'm one dudder head in terms of engine technicalities.

What is turbo timer?
    Is it required?
    Where to source it from?
    whats the right procedure of installation?

and the real deal IS IT REALLY NEEDED!?
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    You can find all the answers to your questions, but when it comes to :

Then the opinion will be as divided as the crowd watching a Indo-Pak cricket match :evilsmile

A turbo timer keeps the engine running for a certain specified time ( as per user settings), even after you have removed the key and locked the car. If you can spare a minute or two before shutting down the engine, you wouldn't need a turbo timer.

I have no idea how it's installed or how it interacts with the car's electronics.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. so basically the turbo wear can be avoided just by idling for a minute or so everytime i switch the car off?
    And what about the engine's health and battery when the turbo time is kicked in without keys? this idea seems scary!
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Turbo timers introduce a relay into the car's circuit. This relay is triggered when you stop the car, turn the key to the off position and take the key out. These are your normal actions, when you stop the car. After the turbo timer is installed, you still do the same thing, but the timer keeps your engine running for a preset time or automatic duration, based on the settings. This helps keep your oil flowing, while the turbo cools down.

The free alternate would be to keep the engine running for 60 -90 seconds, before turning the engine off manually. Essentially, the timer helps save the turbo as well as 1-2 minutes of your time, each time you stop the car. Is it really needed, would depend on how much your time is worth. It is really not necessary, but still nice to have gizmo, as it may not be practical to sit in the car with the engine idling for a couple of minutes, each time you stop. Try doing that when you are taking your wife/GF out for a movie :D

The battery does not get affected as the engine is still running. Engine health and more importantly Turbo life surely gets extended. It is like being able to be at two places at the same time for a brief two minutes :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I have a turbo timer in my brains :)
    3 people like this.
  6. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    Harsh like most have said, we either do it manually or install the turbo-timer. Idling the engine (and turbocharger) before and especially after a drive to let the Turbo cools down is the key. Its upto us how we want to do it. Currently I do it manually, but I will install the TT after sometime (may be 1.5-2 years of ownership) in the TJet.

So you can tune you brain like Italia-Linea or install the TT or with pre-mature turbo failure be ready to cough-up a pretty penny (20k-50k I think, not sure).
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Has anyone here installed this in any FIAT Punto or Linea ? Iam eager to know the wiring aspect as Punto/Linea is not that much straight forward when electronics and circuits come into question. I doubt if Turbo Timer can be installed successfully without hampering any of function or working of the car as this is directly related to ignition setup.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I dont think anyone has installed it yet or even intends to do it. However if you have already bought the kit may be i can help you out in connections. Nothing is impossible :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I believe our Egyptian member has installed it in his T-Jet

Rajan
  10. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Nothing much heard about its use - as already told A turbo timer is a device designed to keep engine running for a short period of time before shutdown which will cool down turbo avoiding turbo failure. This circuit diagram from HKS explains the wiring though fitting the kit may be costly affair

turbo.png
    1 person likes this.