1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo , oil pump and engine failure for linea 2010 aug model at 62k!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mohdshea, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    IMG_20141223_161656.jpg

IMG_20141223_161453.jpg
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 23, 2014 ---
    hello friends,
    i am not new here, not very active though. like anybody, when one falls in a trouble, we come home and to family for help and advise. i am in deep trouble my dear friends, needs help and guidance.
    everything was perfectly alright till 21/11/2014. had my 60k service done at 52k a few months back, which was a major service too. that day
    I was on my way to work and while turning a curve suddenly a beep sound came and a message on the MID saying engine oil pressure low. I immediately stopped the car checked the oil, I could not assess as the engine was hot. I called the Service advisor Mr.Charan Kumar from Daiwik fiat, he was on leave that day. Anyway he asked me to bring the car to Daivik which was just a few kms away. On the primary checkup by another fellow at the centre found oil to be low, they topped up the oil and at my request put a litre spare oil in a can and asked me to come next day. That time only we noticed white smoke from exhaust when revving hard. So they asked me not to revv hard. The car was performing as usual. No unusual sounds or loss of power.
    After two days I went back, meanwhile I had traveled around 150kms and the spare oil was not required as there was no decrease in oil level. Mr. Charan was there, he is a friendly guy, used to help in my regular service previously, asked me to leave the car there And will call me once he finds out the reason for increased oil consumption. I received a call in the afternoon telling that he found oil near the turbo hose and the reason is turbo failure. Actually I was so disappointed and sad hearing this. My extended warranty ended just 25 days before this.
    Mr. Charan was very helpful at this stage and told me he will try for some goodwill warranty from fiat's side. Things wend on like that for next 2 week's, I was losing hope in Fiat and was desperately searching over the net for all possibilities and alternatives. And I came across paramount autozone from internet they are the authorised mechanics for refurbishing gerret and many other turbos.I called them. What they said was that Turbos for cars like linea and manza are same, contains something related to vacuum. So repairing from their facility is impossible. But they are having refurbished item and can be exchanged at a price around 30k. But when I told him the whole story what the Mechanic said was that since there is no power loss there might not be any problem with the turbo. It might be related to something like oil separator and ask them to clean and refit. That day evening I went to the service centre for sharing this information with charan but there was a surprise for me with him. Fiat have agreed to pay a part of the price of turbo as a goodwill as its a premature failure. Actual mrp is around 45k and I will have to pay around 15k. The greedy me thought anyway I will get a new turbo not even a refurbished one!
    After 2days he asked me to pay 12500 as Fiat has not send the item and inorder to tell them the customer had already made the payment and is not satisfied with the time. I made the payment on 03/12/2014
    All these talks were done with one Mr Sumesh who is the head of services south zone of Fiat. I asked Charan if I need to complaint to Fiat. But what he said was that then all these would be waste and we won't get goodwill. So I waited.
    After a week the turbo arrived and he promised me to give the car back in 2 days. But that day by around 2pm charan called me and told me they changed the turbo but the engine is making very loud noise and there might be some serious issue with the engine. He said the engine is kept on idle and lets see if it settles by itself. I was broken hearted and reached the service centre by 5:00. That time engine was off. Charan took me to the car. The engine cover was removed and he showed me the New sparkling turbo.
    He lifted the car and the bearing on the bottom of car and severe gutting scratch marks on the inside of bearing and crankshaft.
    Finally the death sentence of my beloved car's engine was read out. The half engine need to be replaced or simply the engine has died and need overhaul!
    I expressed my disbelief and can't believe what's happening. Again he offered me the chance of a goodwill from Fiat as its pretty premature engine failure.the talks went on between fiat and the dealer till 22/12/2014. finally after all this waiting fiat agreed to pay 10k(not even near to my taxi bill i paid during this month) in the total estimate of around 1.2L which includes a new fuel pump also which should also be changed as the oil pressure was low as the metal particles have damaged that too! charan informed his helplessness to me and agreed to go further and asked me to complaint to fiat. the GM of the dealership have also forwarded to fiat if its for a 10k reduction in total bill they need not have made the customer wait for a month.

yesterday night i complained at the fiat site, there was no response from fiat in the morning(which i expected) so around 11am i called the toll free number. call was transferred to one Mr akhil. he told me he will try to contact the dealer first and call me back..
    today evening i went there again, so depressed to see the car with engine removed.

These are my doubts and queries friends,
    Any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated and thanks in advance

1) whom should I blame- myself, Fiat, or the dealership. Or is this something normal and there are many unlucky Fiat customers like me?
    2)i feel like i was sold a faulty engine. dont you guys feel this is premature? can i move legally and file a consumer complaint?
    3) as I have paid for the turbo even though it's only a part will I get the old turbo back?
    4) I have a weird feeling that my turbo is changed for nothing! Will that be true?
    5) if I complaint to Fiat can I insist on someone from Fiat to directly supervise the overhaul ?
    6) can I do this from outside? What is lathe? What do they do there? Kindly excuse if my questions are stupid!
    And again thanks in advance...
  2. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Hmm, IMO low oil pressure has nothing to do with turbo.

For answering remaining questions, just tell me when was your 'timing chain' replaced?
  3. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    at 52k, i did my 60k service in which timing chain was also changed
  4. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Why at 52 k?
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Got it changed at 32k, sometimes it makes more noise and is better changed earlier.
  6. mohdshea

mohdshea Amatore

malappuram
    kerala
    Linea 1.3
    yes it was making noise so as advised by the service adviser got it changed
  7. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Was only timing chain replaced or pretentioners, autotentioners and oil pump & water pump was changed along with it?
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There are definitely not frequent cases of such failures. To blame or not or to whom is something too early for most of us to pin-point on. But if you have all the service done on time, then you should surely pursue this for much more help from Fiat.
    That is highly doubtful, but there is a chance that engine oils was not changed on time or if changed (just on paper or invoice) based on your description. In which case the FASC must be asked the same questions. The heads of customer service. About consumer court, you can surely, but try to get it sorted out via emails and persuasion.
    Have you collected your old turbo, it is your property. Fiat mentions the same points via display at dealership and workshop offices. It is sad that you are facing problems or told about them in installments, you should definitely protest this verbally or via email and CC to Fiat. For everything please scan your bills of major services since beginning and attach as PDF for them.
    It is always possible, but it would be unfair (of us atleast) to doubt at this stage on the SAs or FASC.
    Yes you can, they may however just direct the dealership to fix the issue as per some agreement with you and if it is still not properly done then a Fiat official will visit. I know for a fact that Fiat officials visit dealerships sometimes unannounced and shake things a bit if found irregular.
    You can get this job done from outside, but there is too much precision involved in these engines, until and unless the genuine replacements are not there it is difficult for you to get the car reliable and performing well.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    mohdshea likes this.
  9. Aviral singh

Aviral singh Amatore

lucknow
    lucknow
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I have booked a punto evo 90 HP ,these kind of stories really scare me and that picture,sometimes I feel I should listen to my brain rather then heart,but then I will ignore this,as it can be a case specific problem.

clear.png

clear.png
    mohdshea and prabhjot like this.
  10. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @Aviral singh , bro, there are sporadic horror stories of ASS of all the automakers.

BTW, which other cars you had in mind before finalising the EVO?