1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo not working in a new 75 HP Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by abhiuday, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Keep one thing in mind. You car will always do given speed in given rpm. That is how the gearbox work. If my punto is doing 100 @ 2500 rpm then your will also do the same. What has to change is the time to reach that speeds.

Straight away ask them to put a replacement turbo and check. Also as i said earlier check the actual boost vs desired boost readings. Its as simple as that and can be done in 5 minutes.
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Not Again !!! When will these guys improve. These are basics and no other ASC's are anywhere close to TASC's in giving free scratches !!!
    You're on your way to challenge me and some others in terms of No. of TASS visits. I had to visit TASS 32 times in 42 months.

- Take back to back TD of your car and another car at TASS for comparison.
    - As Italia_Linea suggested, attach ECU Scanner and test in your car as well as other car in TASS.
  3. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Hi Guys,

Just to check whether the Turbo issue real and not figment of my imagination, I drove my freinds Punto today morning. We both purchased 75 hp version and arnd same time. Both have done similar kms ~ 3300. His car gave the boost as was there in my car previously. It reached 100 much quickly. And 100 km was achieved around 2300 rpm mark. Immediately after driving my friends car, we took a test drive in my car. Both he and I could feel that the turbo is not giving that much boost. Mine reached 100 kms at 2500 mark only.

Still would request, if any other person with 75 hp can let me drive his car and vice versa, this would really help.

Hi Italia_Linea, can you let me know at what rpm does the punto normally reach 100 km mark. Somewhere I had read that it should be ~ 2200 an I vaguely remember mne reaching arnd 2200-2300 RPM.
    Also, what reading should be there in the scanner for desired boost. I mean under what heading or what label the readings would come. I did ask for them to put a replacement Turbo and check. This was negated by TASS by citing "No need" at first and then telling me that TURBOs are ordered on requirement and they dont have one with them.

Ha ha, I dont intent to give you any competition :p
    Each visit takes a day and is a challenge - how to outwit TASS :p

Frankly speaking, TASS is very reluctant to do much test. Replacing turbo is also not welcome. They had attached a scanner to the car and checked the reading. Since I did not know how to read the scanner, I could not figure out the readings. Would be gr8 if someone can let me know which reading to look at and what should be the ideal reading.

Cheers!!
    Abhi
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @abhiuday Both Punto and Linea do 100 @ 2500 rpm in 5th gear.
    The readings change with RPM so one can't give what is normal. The scanner would give you 2 values one would be desired boost pressure and one will be actual boost pressure. There should not be any big difference between these readings.
  5. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    @Vijay: What should be the ideal readings at different RPMs?

I have been reading a wonderful thread on Team BHP regarding a turbo issue in swift. Since both Punto and Swift have the same engine, I thought of going through the entire thread.
    Swift DDIS Turbo issues: Report & Resolution thread

Found data about Boost pressure readings noticed by one person in the Team BHP thread.

Idle 800rpm without AC - 94 Kpa
    Idle 900rpm with AC - 94 Kpa

2nd Gear at around 2000rpm - 150 Kpa
    2nd Gear at around 3000rpm - 197 Kpa

3rd Gear at around 2000rpm - 159 - 162 Kpa
    3rd Gear at around 3000rpm - 205 - 206 Kpa

4th Gear at around 2000rpm - 165 - 176 Kpa
    4th Gear at around 2500rpm - 215 Kpa

5th Gear at around 2000rpm - 191 Kpa
    5th Gear at around 2500rpm - 216 Kpa

Will this hold true for Punto as well??

Also, some on has mentioned that "ECU resets itself after every 3000 kms". Is this true for Punto?
  6. Can not compare them , torque is different for Punto and Swift.
  7. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

mumbai
    @theblack

As u suggested abhi even i tried this method and found 2 things.
    1. I could hear a sound like air compressor from bottom of the engine is this what you call turbo leak? Btw this sound could be heard at normal idling of engine.
    2.i could see that entire engine vibrates.. is this normat as its diesel?

Sanket
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

What Tyre size was the Punto running on?
    Punto and Linea MJD do 100 at 2500RPM in 5th gear.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Actually, the tyre size would not matter. The speedo and the tacho will show the same reading, no matter what the tyre size. That is the reason why a tyre upsize introduces speedo error.

Rajan
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Errr,if a tyre upsize introduces a speedo Error,how will it show the same reading.
    I was using Upsized tyres in my Previous car,and error was around 3.2%,On comparing it with GPS,i realized that error had actually reduced.