1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo not working in a new 75 HP Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by abhiuday, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Can you list down the speeds you achieve at 2000 RPM in 4th and 5th gears?
  2. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Did a quick check. Speed achieved in gear 4 is 60, gear 5 is around 70.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    This is not good. It should do 80 in 5th gear at 2000rpm.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    That's what I am having problem with. First there is no turbo and second the car does not reach 100 at all.

Will have to wait for the checkup at TASS.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

yes this is really bad... But i have a doubt. is it really an issue with the turbo? or like someone else pointed out it could also be an issue with the ECU.

Abhi, do this for starters.. start the engine and open the bonnet , you should not hear anything apart from the engine clattering . if you hear any hissing noise then pay extra attention to where it's coming from and most likely you might have a turbo leak.

Also have someone to gradually accelerate up to 2000rpm and then listen for any hissing noise, this time you will hear a slight noise (as the turbo is working) but if its huge then again you can be certain that there is a leak.

Finally, if you know a mechanic just take your car to him and ask him to help you figure out the problem and also have a good technical discussion about the issue and why he thinks the issue exists.. This knowledge will come in mighty handy when you speak to TASS or anyone from FIAT.

PS : Do mail Mr Mangesh and be as precise as possible.. Feel free to mention the name of the dealership as well as concerned people .. FIAT ought to know what sort of ppl they have employed who reject claims on brand new cars.. this is obnoxious. Be hard there is nothing wrong.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Just calling out Mr Mangesh's name is sufficient ....
    My friend had issues while buying a new fiat and the dealer was acting cocky , I just told him about Mangesh and said what all i can do with the list of ph nos i have and believe it or not in 2 days a new car was in his home... so it does work..

All the best
  6. Sorry to hear about this..Hope the problems get solved soon,and stay by the side of your car when the SC guys start experimenting on your car..
  7. vivekrj.dieselhead

vivekrj.dieselhead Regolare

I am very sorry for whatever you felt at Tass, but let me make it clear guys the turbo kick was not at all present in Abhi's ride. The culprit is only turbo IMHO.:(

I drove Abhi's car during MWF mini meet at India Gate.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Would not the RPM be same even if turbo is not working ? Turbo can't change gear ratios so speed vs rpm graph would remain same even if turbo is not working.
    If the turbo is not working the car would struggle to pickup revs and would light check engine light or store a error in ECU without activating CEL light depending on condition.

It have something to do with clutch/gearbox or the RPM sensor or any other sensor going bad.
    3 people like this.
  9. halfclutch

halfclutch Amatore

Yes. Mangesh is a saviour.but you need to use crisp language when u write to FIAPL.
    I got entire front suspension replaced by few mail exchanges.
  10. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Today morning I tried to look for any loose hoses around turbo. And I found a small pipe that was not properly latched. Gave it a bit of push. It didnt move. So i guess it either stays this way or i could not push it in.

Next I started the engine and went for a ride. I could feel turbo start to kick in, but the push is very meek. Next I opened the bonnet as suggested and asked me wife to rev the car to 2000 rpm. I could hear hissing sound. With a small feather in hand I tried to locate the point where the sound was coming. It seems there is a pipe at the bottom junction of the turbo from where the noise is coming. The feather thou did not move much so can't exactly pin point the location.

Someone mentioned about checking the fuse. Any idea where they are located for turbo?