1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Turbo not kicking in after 2k rpm

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by rahulmr, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I own a punto 90 bnw. I got it around a few days back.i think I am facing some problems with turbo now ..
    Crossed around 800 kms already... Now e problem is even after the rpm crosses 2k I am not able to feel that turbo kick...I had experienced that turbo in swift ...but punto being heavier than swift I do expect only a less turbo....but the case is that I am not able to feel a turbo at 2k ...

I took it to the service centre and they could not find any problems with anything ...

But later it was found that when I release the accelerator and then press again the turbo kicks in and it was better than expected :))
    The real turbo kicks in if I do like what I mentioned above ...

Is it how the turbo works in punto or is there any problems .... Do we get turbo with continuous acceleration once it crosses 2k rpm or do we need to release and accelerate again ...

Really confused ... :confused:
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Normally, turbo kicks in after 1700 rpm. But, its so linear that you cannot feel the turbo like in Swift.
  3. Srini

Srini Regolare

As far as I know it is more linear in Punto than Swift where you will experience the power in a sudden. Your first two gears will be sluggish and once you cross 1700 RPM you can see the turbo in action. But you might not feel it pushing you back to your seat
  4. Do I need to release and then accelerate again to feel that with in that rpm ? Or just continuous acceleration will provide that feel ?
  5. Srini

Srini Regolare

in any car, if you release the accelerator and press it again you will feel the power immediately. It does not mean that you are feeling the turbo then.
  6. So could be some pblms with turbo then rite ?Or do I need to wait for 2000 kms or something ?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  7. Srini

Srini Regolare

Bhai, there does not seems to be a problem with your car.. it is normal.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I think I do not have turbo at all in my punto 90hp..

though it does go like a rocket until 172kmph with that missing turbine.

I hate turbos, they are like running crutches; giving a handicap feel to engine.
    Kidding :)

feel of acceleration with sudden tap on accelerator is not turbo surge but immense torque (209NM) of mjd in action.

Patience .. 800km run punto 90hp is like 8 week old baby.

let it rev up to 5000km .
  9. As jayadev mentioned. Its just 800 kms clocked. Be patient. Even on my T-Jet+ it took a good 2000kms for the turbo to shine the way it is supposed to.

My suggestion would be once you cross 1000 ~ 1200 kms take the car out for a spin and rev it nice and hard for a couple of kilometers.

Don't worry, nothing will explode under the hood :p.